Author Topic: Trying out the new rod/reel on the beach  (Read 2902 times)

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
Trying out the new rod/reel on the beach
« on: May 14, 2018, 08:33:16 am »
So I have been itching to try out a new rod/reel but the boat is not in the water yet.  I bought a Daiwa BG2500 reel and put it on a cheap Uglystick Elite over winter, but had not tried it out till this weekend.  I was at our cottage on the beach side of Nottawasaga Bay and put on a crocodile casting lure and blasted off a few casts off the beach.  No intention but figured may pick up a rainbow cruising the shallows this time of year.  Our cottage is on beach sand, but there is rock rubble shoals off the beach that go out maybe 100 yards or more.  Quite shallow.  Maybe 6 ft out 100 yards.  Gin clear water. 

After a couple casts I feel a "snag" bump and figure I bounced bottom since its rocky.  Well next cast don't I get slammed.  Fish is pulling hard and boiling at the surface out about 100 ft or so.  Then it jumps.  Its a smally, maybe 4 lbs.  I get it to shore, take a look and back she goes.  Hopefully didn't pull her of a spawning bed.   Anyway, nice start to the season.

The reel is really nice for $120.  Saltwater capable too, which is why I bought it.  For trips down south.  Good reviews on line, well built and very smooth drag.

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Krawler

Re: Trying out the new rod/reel on the beach
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 11:49:12 am »
I was near you fishing Sat and Sunday mornings. I also got in to a few nice bass just casting from shore.  Lots of bows jumping in the early am.  Will have the boat out this weekend hunting for lakers in the depths and bows in the shallows.

Offline Higuera

Re: Trying out the new rod/reel on the beach
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 07:20:56 am »
I was near you fishing Sat and Sunday mornings. I also got some fantastic weight loss pills a few nice bass just casting from shore.  Lots of bows jumping in the early am.  Will have the boat out this weekend hunting for lakers in the depths and bows in the shallows.

That's a really nice reel, Canuck. I was going to get the same one but I went with another model at the last minute. I'm kind of kicking myself now, especially after reading your post.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 10:42:42 am by Higuera »