Author Topic: What style of kayak is best?  (Read 25847 times)

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
    • Time on the Water Canada
Re: What style of kayak is best?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 08:20:57 am »
Thanks Jim
I'm also looking at the tandem version Big Tuna. I don't think I will be doing any portaging but I might go out with my wife or even better someone who can paddle longer than me :D

I still have some learning to do. 

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline The Kayaker

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 08:47:51 am »
Here is my 10 footer...

This is the front.

This is the back.

Offline The Kayaker

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 08:49:26 am »
I don't use the gaff anymore. Last year I bought a berkley grip but not the traditional in line gripper. It is a pistol grip style that makes handling a larger fish easier on the wrists.

Offline Tinker

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 10:14:25 am »

Sorry, this is about the only photo I have of my yak. I guess I take more photos of others or fish or scenery It doesn't show the slidetrax table that goes across the yak at the foot rest area. This table holds the fishfinder, camera, gps and trolling rod holder.

Regarding lip grippers I recommend that anyone looking to purchase gets one where the handle is able to spin around. It seems Pike will always start to roll once you grab onto them.

Offline Canuckbass

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2012, 02:38:43 pm »
John, the Big Tuna is supposed be an awesome yak, for your big water it would be the Cadillac on the water for ya. I may add one to my order... Great for others to join you on trips.

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2012, 03:22:16 pm »
Kayaker
That must be the best use of a cutting board I've ever seen. You really have that thing laid out nicely.

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 03:24:13 pm »
John, the Big Tuna is supposed be an awesome yak, for your big water it would be the Cadillac on the water for ya. I may add one to my order... Great for others to join you on trips.

My wife wants to take the dogs out. I guess that means they are all going swimming.

Offline The Kayaker

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2012, 03:49:17 pm »
Thanks John,
It took quite a few years and trials to get things right..
The cutting board is the best material available. It is light, very easy to work with and won't react to the elements.

I was even able to place some countersunk holes in my front board to hold my go-to lures.
The FFinder is permanently spliced into a waterproof pack that holds my gel battery. It disconnects via trailer light connection. It is mounted on a ramball mount for quick and easy removal.

My back board is mounted on a simpson strong tie stair stringer that is bolted with wing nuts (incase I ever wanted to remove or replace it) The assembly makes a great back rest when I lounge around on the water for a great period of time.

On the front of the boat, You'll notice 4 anchor points that I have everything tethered to. In addition, I started using speaker cable as my stringer. I had lost quite a few fish on those cheap metal clips. With the wire run through the gill, not even the biggest pike can eat through it - and it's quiet to boot.

Everything comes off my boat when in transit. It takes a couple of minutes to set up or take down. It ensures that my gear stays safe and doesn't fly off when on the highway.

Jon

Offline Canuckbass

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2012, 03:58:51 pm »
Thanks Jon, appreciate all the tips and when I get my Cuda I will be spending time rigging properly. So many tricks of the trade.

Offline Canuckbass

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 09:39:53 am »
Hey John, just gut a message from Jackson Kayak.

"FYI, the Big Tuna was our highest selling boat at the Jersey show this past weekend. It was the first time the public had seen the actual production model as well and man did they love it calling it "the most innovative kayak " at the show."

Looking forward to seeing one of these Tuna's in person.

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 02:18:39 pm »
When do you think we will see one up here?

Offline The Kayaker

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 06:36:23 pm »
I can see that kayak selling quite well. It definitely has a couple of unique features!

Offline Canuckbass

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 02:07:12 pm »
I'll look into it for you John. I'll check to see if Jay is bringing one up. They have an order coming up soon.

Offline Canuckbass

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 08:00:12 pm »
Hey Gang, some photos just released of the Jackson Big Tuna, the reviews on this kayak from the team are coming back amazing. Drew got out for a photo shoot and a video is being put together as we speak... or type. These boats are just being launched recently and will change the kayak tandem market.
Reports are back that it is very easy to paddle solo and handles amazing.

Check out the picture link.
http://jacksonkayak.com/blog/2012/04/12/big-tuna-photo-fest/

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 12:06:57 pm »
That site must be down.