Author Topic: Ice out Salmon Severn Sound area  (Read 6618 times)

Offline Krawler

Ice out Salmon Severn Sound area
« on: April 12, 2017, 08:40:34 pm »
Is the ice gone out of Penetang and Severn Sound?  Looks as though on the satellite maps but would prefer someone who is up there.  Hoping to try for ice out Salmon on our side of the Bay this weekend.  I know they are getting them in Owen Sound but that's a heck of a drive by boat or trailer so why not in our neck of the woods?!?!  Anyone ever try south eastern Gbay this time of year?  Thanks.

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
Re: Ice out Salmon Severn Sound area
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 05:28:03 pm »
No ice.  I popped by AC Marina this afternoon while out for a drive and someone was just pulling their boat out and had riggers set up so I figure it was one of you guys on the forum.  Lake sure looked pretty.  Like glass.  But how was the fishing?

Offline Krawler

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 06:42:48 am »
That was me pulling my boat out.  Didn't make it to Penetang.  Well I did but didn't want to head out solo so turned around and launched out of AC Marina.
We ran to wasaga, found a mixed bag of temps and mudlines, marled a few fish but no takers. We found a pocket of 48 degree water, 10 degrees warmer than everywhere else and almost instantly had a hit. Turned out to be my first GBay Brown Trout, 15lbs.  Had to keep her as she swallowed the body bait and was bleeding.  Pretty awesome to catch a brown like that.
Packed it in soon after and ran back. Great first outing. 

Offline bigturk43

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 10:12:36 am »
Good Job Krawler. Did rates go up at the launch again this year?
Did not know we had browns in GBay. Thats pretty cool. Will be taking the wrap off the boat and adding some of the new toys to it shortly. Looking forward to slamming some lakers soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Wasagabeach

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 09:11:59 pm »
Nice start to the season with a 15 lbr.      Just a reminder that the Georgian triangle anglers association is holding their annual spring derby starting this coming weekend.    Huge prizes this year for rainbows, lakers, browns and salmon.   $1,000 for biggest fish in each category.    That brown could have been a contender 👍   

Offline myot

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 01:56:13 pm »
a few years back I caught 2 kings off of Thunder beach in early May along with a couple of lake trout but it was kind of a perfect storm 3-4 days straight of North winds had colored the water a bit and there was a bit of bait in 40-50' of water

Dan

Offline grampa

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 05:35:44 pm »
was out in the hole today off gin rocks marked lots of fish down around  50 feet  being a newbie to georgian bay  wondering if i missed the spring bite nice day light winds ran the riggers anywhere between 30 and 90 no action  was it full moon fever or just lack of local knowledge any help would be appreciated thanks  dan

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 02:01:17 pm »
I doubt they were salmon, but you never know.  I have never had luck in the hole before August.  I have seen marks in the hole though and am also wondering what they might be.  This time of year I think they are in shallow water in Notawasaga Bay and around Christian, Beckwith and Hope.  Also around Thunder beach area sometimes, depending on wind and water temps.

Offline Krawler

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 09:45:55 am »
I don't see why they couldn't be salmon, perhaps suspending lake trout?  Were you marking any bait?

I know a lot of guys were fishing saturday, near wasaga.  Spoke to 4 different boats, they all got skunked but they were marking fish. I think it was one of those days.  I'd go back and try again, you never know! 

Offline Floats Gone

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 05:15:00 pm »
I doubt they were salmon, but you never know.  I have never had luck in the hole before August.  I have seen marks in the hole though and am also wondering what they might be.  This time of year I think they are in shallow water in Notawasaga Bay and around Christian, Beckwith and Hope.  Also around Thunder beach area sometimes, depending on wind and water temps.

Just curious to see if anyone has tried fishing around the islands yet and with any success?

Offline Krawler

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 08:13:43 pm »
I plan on doing a run and gun approach this weekend. Fish for an hour in one spot and then run to the next for an hour.  Try to hit up 3-4 spots. Will report back.

Offline Floats Gone

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 09:12:06 am »
Did Anyone make it out?