Author Topic: One line per angler, open water trolling in Zone 14  (Read 4613 times)

Offline cheezypoof

One line per angler, open water trolling in Zone 14
« on: April 16, 2018, 01:33:42 pm »
Every year I download the latest regulations hoping to see a change to this restriction (like Zone 13 which allows 2 lines for open water trolling in Lk Huron). I found some old threads on this site from circa 2012-2014 that briefly discussed this - @John Whyte, it appears you were involved bringing the idea forward to the Ministry at that time. I'm curious what the outcome of those discussions was? Well, the outcome is obvious, but what was the rationale for standing pat?

We fish the western side of the bay along the Bruce Peninsula, occasionally we'll have 3-4 people on-board and even with a 4 line spread we average (at best) one fish every ~2 hours, and that's being generous. In the past 10 years I can recall only one outing (out of maybe 80-100) where we hit the silver fish aggregate limit. (Don't get me wrong, we've come to accept the slow fishing and are perfectly happy because it's such a beautiful place to be)

Where I'm going with this, is the the 1-line limit based on real data/analysis, or is it more of a "regulation inertia" issue (it takes too much effort to implement changes, so nothing changes)?

Best to all of you for a great 2018 on the water!

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Mrbeee

Re: One line per angler, open water trolling in Zone 14
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 10:02:13 am »
I too think 2 lines trolling should be allowed there.  But the MNR works at government speed. So it could take 20 years even if they want the changes

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
    • Time on the Water Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 10:46:19 am »
I was involved in the proposal. There were many arguments for and against but ultimately it came down to not being able to separate or have a distinct line between deep water trolling and near shore fishing. The walleye advocates claimed 2 lines would add pressure to the population. Of course my reply was "what population"? Unfortunately most of the influence came from the Severn Sound clubs. But this wasn't the only area affected. The St. Lawrence River was also up for review and could possibly have had the World Carp Championships. This is huge to the local stake holders as teams from all over the world would come. The same rational was used. I'm not sure the issue is closed, its just so hard to get anything done.   

Offline cheezypoof

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 11:33:28 am »
Thanks for the replies. If there's anything a recreational angler like myself can do to press the issue, I'm willing to try.

Offline Meegs

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 07:48:02 pm »
I know the issue is being brought up again to the ministry. The club's in collingwood and Owen sound are strongly advocating for a 2 line limit

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
    • Time on the Water Canada
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 04:43:38 am »
I wish the clubs luck in their proposal but it is a long hard road trying to change those regulations.

Offline JimBob

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 12:25:19 pm »
Every year I download the latest regulations hoping to see a change to this restriction (like Zone 13 which allows 2 lines for open water trolling in Lk Huron). I found some old threads on this site from circa 2012-2014 that briefly discussed this - @John Whyte, it appears you were involved bringing the idea forward to the Ministry at that time. I'm curious what the outcome of those discussions was? Well, the outcome is obvious, but what was the rationale for standing pat?

We fish the western side of the bay along the Bruce Peninsula, occasionally we'll have 3-4 people on-board and even with a 4 line spread we average (at best) one fish every ~2 hours, and that's being generous. In the past 10 years I can recall only one outing (out of maybe 80-100) where we hit the silver fish aggregate limit. (Don't get me wrong, we've come to accept the slow fishing and are perfectly happy because it's such a beautiful place to be)

Where I'm going with this, is the the 1-line limit based on real data/analysis, or is it more of a "regulation inertia" issue (it takes too much effort to implement changes, so nothing changes)?

Best to all of you for a great 2018 on the water!

Offline JimBob

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 01:35:45 pm »
Hi Folks, New to this and the Owen Sound area, but not new to outdoor activities. I have had many opinions about our Ministry and the way in which it operates and makes decisions. Rather than whine, I know they only listen if there are numbers involved, because numbers equal votes. So you bet any change will only be made by political means.
So, if someone out there has a lawyer in the family or is a lawyer, I'd ask their assistance in crafting a letter to the ministry, requesting an audience or just a change to the regulations to allow for a single angler to have two lines in Zone 14. Make it Species specific if that matters in other waters within the Zone. Then we'd need to garner as many signatures as we possibly can so they might listen to us?? I will help if I can in some way.
Cheers for now.
JimBob

Offline dardevle

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 09:52:16 am »
John you are correct what population of walleye could be affected in Severn sound!
in the early 80s the gamefish were varied as you never know what you would catch trolling a worm harness / catfish /drum / sheepshead / white bass / sturgeon . the staple of bass/ walleye pike & musky were many & large trophies were caught.
 after 34 years of great fishing and the last 4 years of futility I have moved on .
SAD for the future