Author Topic: Fish Hawk X4 setup  (Read 2678 times)

Offline buck

Fish Hawk X4 setup
« on: July 08, 2020, 04:50:49 pm »
just installed my new toy

a few questions

i assume i should calibrate the surface speed to my GPS ?

there often is quite a difference between the speed at the ball and at the surface.....normal?

what temp are we usually looking for on the Bay for salmon?

any other advice would be appreciated

buck

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline nauti-too

• Fishing...its a way of life...
Re: Fish Hawk X4 setup
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 06:53:20 pm »
Yes its good idea to get the surface speed sync'd to gps speed, but not necessary. I prefer to have it synced. Need a calm day/water to do this. More important is to get the surface and bottom sync'd. Keeping the probe as close to surface as possible while syncing will give you most accurate readings. Just lower it until you get signal...10' should work...maybe even higher. This will eliminate any currents that will affect the speed while syncing.
That is the beauty of this unit, is to see what the difference of surface to bottom speed. Some days the current is very strong, so when trolling one direction baits are working, but you might will need to alter speed in the other direction to keep them working.
Preferred temperature?? Who knows... Our salmon seem to be everywhere. Anywhere they can find bait seems to be the ticket. Some days they are caught in the soup and other days down in ice water....
Good luck.. You will like your fishhawk. Another piece of information to take into account to figure these fish out..
Cheers...Jake

Offline buck

Re: Fish Hawk X4 setup
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 07:10:09 pm »
thx Jake....much appreciated

buck