Author Topic: Last Day on the Bay - The wintering hole  (Read 2222 times)

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
    • Time on the Water Canada
Last Day on the Bay - The wintering hole
« on: November 16, 2017, 08:58:27 am »
Last Day on GBay, time to put it away.
The number of nice days on big water are few and far between before ice up. Every year I end the season on GBay, out in the bay, just me and a few thousand little brown friends.

James Gignac and I watched the weather for a nice day and the forecast was perfect! Sunny, no wind and 5c. We headed out of Penetang bright and early and head straight out to the bay. The intent was to catch a bunch of fish and do a lot of video work. The bottom of Simcoe is really pretty boring compared to the bay so I wanted to video some of the bottom and the huge schools of smallies we find find. But like many forecasts these days it was wrong!!!
We did manage to get into them pretty good but the video was horrible because we were bouncing around. Last year we caught a fish in over 100 ft. This year we wanted to see just how deep bass winter. We fell off a structure and drifted out to 111 ft. where baitfish hugged the bottom.James hooked up. I normally won't bring a fish that far to the surface but wanted to see what it was. Sure enough it was a bass. Not huge but still a 2.5 lb fish. Took a quick picture and watched the sonar to see if the fish could get back down. It took a while but it did get down a long way until we couldn't track it.

These GBay fish were not really squared up like Simcoe or Erie fish. Their bellies were bursting but no weight through the tail. The wind changed to the NE and the bite stopped. We had 2 cameras down watching these huge schools. Many of the fish we caught had what looked to be stretch marks. Red irritations on their bellies.
The video was not good but the clarity of the water even at 50 ft was incredible considering the dense cloud cover and bouncing the rig off the bottom. Didn't seem to bother the fish lol
Berkley Fishing #gbaywintering Fenwick Fishing

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Fishpants

Re: Last Day on the Bay - The wintering hole
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 09:26:11 am »
Last Day on GBay, time to put it away.
The number of nice days on big water are few and far between before ice up. Every year I end the season on GBay, out in the bay, just me and a few thousand little brown friends.

James Gignac and I watched the weather for a nice day and the forecast was perfect! Sunny, no wind and 5c. We headed out of Penetang bright and early and head straight out to the bay. The intent was to catch a bunch of fish and do a lot of video work. The bottom of Simcoe is really pretty boring compared to the bay so I wanted to video some of the bottom and the huge schools of smallies we find find. But like many forecasts these days it was wrong!!!
We did manage to get into them pretty good but the video was horrible because we were bouncing around. Last year we caught a fish in over 100 ft. This year we wanted to see just how deep bass winter. We fell off a structure and drifted out to 111 ft. where baitfish hugged the bottom.James hooked up. I normally won't bring a fish that far to the surface but wanted to see what it was. Sure enough it was a bass. Not huge but still a 2.5 lb fish. Took a quick picture and watched the sonar to see if the fish could get back down. It took a while but it did get down a long way until we couldn't track it.

These GBay fish were not really squared up like Simcoe or Erie fish. Their bellies were bursting but no weight through the tail. The wind changed to the NE and the bite stopped. We had 2 cameras down watching these huge schools. Many of the fish we caught had what looked to be stretch marks. Red irritations on their bellies.
The video was not good but the clarity of the water even at 50 ft was incredible considering the dense cloud cover and bouncing the rig off the bottom. Didn't seem to bother the fish lol
Berkley Fishing #gbaywintering Fenwick Fishing

Great post.