Author Topic: Ice Fishing on Penetang Bay  (Read 1726 times)

Offline seasaw

Ice Fishing on Penetang Bay
« on: December 18, 2017, 09:52:09 PM »
I moved to Penetanguishene from Keswick this summer and want to get some ice fishing in.  I'm used to Lake Simcoe and Cook Bay ice fishing and was hoping there would be some good fishing in Pentang Bay that I could just walk out onto the ice from shore.  Is there good fishing in the bay and what are the species.  Any hint on where to fish would be great as well.  I'm open to any and all advise.   

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
    • Time on the Water Canada
Re: Ice Fishing on Penetang Bay
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 12:55:45 PM »
There are walleye in the bay and some good perch. I'm not sure if the areas are close enough to walk out. I believe they do best out near the gap

Online Krawler

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 10:14:57 PM »
Lots of fishing opportunities in Penetang Bay!  Not hard to see where, just look for the clusters of huts.   Some easy access points for walking but not many.  Lots of sled traffic. 

Offline seasaw

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 09:48:41 AM »
Thanks
  I did notice huts down in the far west end of the bay.  What are they targeting?  Any chance for trout in the bay?
I'll talk to people out there and get the lowdown.  Anything else you can offer would be helpful.

Offline glen margaret

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 08:41:29 AM »
After we have more ice, Black Bay has perch and cisco over 40 to 45 fow.  You may have to play chicken with masked snowmobilers.

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 08:39:25 AM »
Thanks
  I did notice huts down in the far west end of the bay.  What are they targeting?  Any chance for trout in the bay?
I'll talk to people out there and get the lowdown.  Anything else you can offer would be helpful.

The far west end of the bay is shallow.  15ft max and more is 10 or less.  So its perch and pike in that area.
I would doubt you would get trout in Penetang Bay, even in the deeper spots.  Just not the environment for them. 
https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#boating@11&key=_zjpGv%7CxfN
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 08:43:01 AM by Canuck »

Offline Mariebople

Ice Fishing on Penetang Bay
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 09:37:35 AM »
I ice fish for smelt on the river in Exeter and on Great Bay. Also fish Swains lake in Barrington and several ponds up in the lakes area of NH. Mainly fishing for perch and bass. When ice fishing Im more interested in quantity rather than quality.