Author Topic: Really BUGGING me....  (Read 3638 times)

Offline Fuzzy Old Worm

Really BUGGING me....
« on: July 10, 2017, 09:03:35 am »
So I took my daughter and her boyfriend out fishing Saturday night. Wind was still up but tucked into a few protected spots and had some surface fun with some pike and bass. My complaint is the bugs !!! I do not EVER remember in my 45+ years in the Victoria Harbour area of having bugs out this strong, this late and in the numbers they are !!!! I was out BBQ'ing at 2:15 am both nights (mornings lol) and the bugs were still out in full force. We could only have a fire 1 of 3 nights up. For me......they are pesky but a little spray a few pops and I can tolerate them but for those who are not up on a regular basis....they are way beyond tolerable !!!

That's my rant but what a brutal summer for bugs, with all the rain we have so far in 2017, bug season may be in it's prime until late August......yikes !!!! I will be up for 2 weeks July 22-August 7......I hope they are FULL by then  ;D

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
Re: Really BUGGING me....
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 10:32:02 am »
Yup. Way more this year.  No surprise given the cool wet start to the summer.  I find that the Thermocell's work well and those Off clip on things work well too.  Or you could just use some Off or other repellent.  Home Depot sells a milder one (Kombat brand) that is only 5% DEET but has coconut, aloe and vitamin E in it.  Its nicer on the skin and is enough to get you through the witching hour until the skeeters are done. 

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.kombat-family-5%25-deet.1000820920.html 

(Or you could use that old bottle of Muskol oil that we all have sitting around.  I think it was 70% DEET or something crazy like that.  Except it dissolves most plastics, including mono, fishing reels, rods, cell phone's, etc.)

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
    • Time on the Water Canada
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 06:04:19 am »
Same here Fuzzy
We still have midge flies and they are thick. The high water certainly helped the black fly population as well.

Offline Rocky

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 12:03:43 pm »
Thanks for the update. I am heading up to the San Souci area next Friday and I will make sure that I pack extra bug spray. My kids and I can't wait.

Offline Grandpa Jim

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 07:04:00 am »
Boat flies (stable flies??) are the buqqers that I find most annoying. They are incredibly numerous and voracious this year. I really dislike using insect repellent on the boat. I have found that wearing heavy winter socks (Red Head) with an underlay of athletic socks keeps these flies from nibbling away at your ankles. You may appear to be a few cans shy of a six pack on a hot summer's day but this effectively eliminates most of the bites you'd otherwise endure.
"... better to burn out, than to fade away ..." Neil Young

Offline Fishwacker

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 11:58:25 am »
Yup. Way more this year.  No surprise given the cool wet start to the summer.  I find that the Thermocell's work well and those Off clip on things work well too.  Or you could just use some Off or other repellent.  Home Depot sells a milder one (Kombat brand) that is only 5% DEET but has coconut, aloe and vitamin E in it.  Its nicer on the skin and is enough to get you through the witching hour until the skeeters are done. 

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.kombat-family-5%25-deet.1000820920.html 

(Or you could use that old bottle of Muskol oil that we all have sitting around.  I think it was 70% DEET or something crazy like that.  Except it dissolves most plastics, including mono, fishing reels, rods, cell phone's, etc.)

My Muskol says 99.9 percent deet...  As pure as it gets... not cut  ;) ;).. just a dab behind each ear and your good for the weekend.. ;D ;D

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 12:15:38 am »
Boat flies (stable flies??) are the buqqers that I find most annoying. They are incredibly numerous and voracious this year. I really dislike using insect repellent on the boat. I have found that wearing heavy winter socks (Red Head) with an underlay of athletic socks keeps these flies from nibbling away at your ankles. You may appear to be a few cans shy of a six pack on a hot summer's day but this effectively eliminates most of the bites you'd otherwise endure.

They are so bad this year.  Someone last year posted about these dragonfly bug repellent things called Wingman.  So I said, WTH and ordered a pair.  I will say that they seem to work.  I clip one on the dash of the boat and one somewhere else (no, not on my hat - that would be goofy) and horse and deer flies don't stay around.  Not sure abour stable flies, but for the others I would say they work.

http://getyourbug.com/