Author Topic: anybody dwonriggin' yet  (Read 13977 times)

Offline nauti-too

• Fishing...its a way of life...
Re: anybody dwonriggin' yet
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 05:09:24 pm »
Nice report Mike. That sounds like an amazing nite. Dare I say "like the ole days"? Wish I had stayed out longer to see the northern lights. We pulled the pin just after dark and cleaning fish. We left active fish for sure. Who knows how many we might have hooked. You must have been north of us. We trolled up from the gap to the south end of West beach by the pencil markers. Didn't see another boat or even any nets.
Spent yesterday in
the harbour doing maintainance stuff after cancelling trip due to big water, but did go out and
play in the 5-6 footers for an hour and picked up a couple little salmon while trying to set lines.

Don't know about uploading pics. Sounds like you are using tapatalk with iPhone? I upload to photobucket and link from there.
Give me a shout on the radio when you come across again. I monitor 71 and16.

Cheers....Jake

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Kinghunter

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 12:37:12 pm »
Made my first trip of the year off Meaford on Sunday.  (been fishing Lake O the past 2 months)  Surprised at the inaccuracy of the marine forecast, instead of calm winds we had strong Easterly winds and a 3 to 4 foot chop on top of a NW 3 foot swell left over from Saturday.  Regardless, I had planned to go to Cape Rich and fish the 'shelves' but had to settle for trolling with the chop toward the tank range.  My 13 year old son had his first bout of sea sickness due to the washing machine effect in my 22 footer.

Trolled from 6:00 a.m to 10:00 a.m. managed one bow about 5 lbs on a black and chrome Smithwick Rattlin Rouge, and one other rip on a wire dipsy with chrome/blue NK28 set on No. 3 at 200', water was 65 deg. F from top to 60 feet down, then 45 deg. F at 70 feet, hit the bow at 55'.  Marked a few fish, had a few streaker's, marked a few bait balls, but not much more than that!  Only one other boat out there.

Has anyone done any fishing along the Meaford shore this year with any salmon success?  Are there any nets set toward Cape Rich?  I'll be back in late August off Collingwood, I usually have more consistent luck for salmon there, than I have had off Meaford.

Offline buck

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 07:03:41 am »
well finally got out for an extended fish

yesterday morning....lines down east of Awenda....trolled along Awenda, past methodist over to ballard's and up east side of beckwith

marked very few fish.....and embarrassed to say.....didn't move a rod

only 1 other boat and it was at methodist....lovely morning tho

that is why i call it fishin' not catchin'

Offline Searcher

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2013, 11:21:59 am »
Was out Thursday 6pm -8pm just north of Whalesback. Brought in one salmon at 70ft, and two bass at 30,40ft. Had many hits also.
On Friday had many hits south west of Giants Tomb, and some action on the north side of the Island. Hooked something large, reeled off a bunch of line, but lost it after a few minutes. All on green/green and white spoons.

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 10:23:56 pm »
Was also out today in the hole off Beausoleil picked up two nice salmon and a few knockoffs. Then went out north west of giants tomb did not mark anything.

Offline buck

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 06:50:17 pm »
fishing in the hole...west of beausoleil.....,usually early morning

marking lots of fish

taken a few....but too dark and too big to eat

seems early...usually still mostly silver now

caused by colder water?

john

Offline Grandpa Jim

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 11:15:57 pm »
Got out tonight with my eldest boy for a few hours. Hit a good fish shortly after we started. It was darkened up quite a bit and was released successfully. Hit a small silver about 7 or 8 pounds later on and missed another. Both came off a Silver Fox with dark green tape being used as a free slider. The water temp was quite warm until the probe was placed just below 100 feet. Water temps where the slider was running were well into the 60 degree range. Saw a few other boats take salmon but a tough bite tonight. Gorgeous evening to be out on the Bay with a tall ship slowly sailing by on it's way to Penetang or Midland for the week-end display. The full moon may be contributing to the slowness experienced. Probably as good as any other excuse we could create  ;D ;).

"... better to burn out, than to fade away ..." Neil Young

Offline Canuck

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 10:06:22 am »
Beautiful evening last night for trolling around the hole.  Glass calm, tall ships coming out under sail heading on to the next port, sunset on the water.  Only problem was the salmon had lock jaw, at least for me.  I was marking lots of fish, but had one knock off and thats it.  I got a couple saturday evening.  Nice clean fish and not as skinny as the last few years. Will try again a few nights or mornings this week.  I am off for the week so have some time for a change.

RobM

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 08:07:46 am »
We were out yesterday too. Nada. tried Lymans and Spoons. Various colours depths and went from 2.3-3.1MPH with cannon balls set anywhere from 80-113feet. Marked them.

Those Black fish are going in for spawn. They are end of lifers who are running shallow and getting exposure to heat and sun.

Offline buck

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 06:45:05 am »
i live south of the hole....so can get there easily

over the past couple of weeks i agree with the lockjaw comment.... given what i marked i was surprised more fish weren't being taken

marked lots of fish....and mostly came up empty as it seemed most of the other boats did too

only got one silver....rest were black...and yesterday's fish, in the gdamn wind, had a big lamprey and three scars....he was in bad shape

too windy today to even try

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
    • Time on the Water Canada
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 08:19:09 am »
Send the pics to me john@timeonthewater.ca

Offline Searcher

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2013, 12:05:52 pm »
Had a rare double hit Saturday afternoon, a large dark salmon....and a 14" cisco.

Offline Canuck

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013, 07:29:49 pm »
So are there many salmon left in the hole or are they all moved on?  Thinking of hitting the lake this Saturday for one last troll if its worth it.

Offline Searcher

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2013, 12:40:34 pm »
When is it not worth time on the water to enjoy the outdoors.
Saturdays weather is looking good, maybe a little cool. Enjoy!

Offline Smiath

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2013, 04:24:33 pm »
Well I think tomorrow will be the last kick at the can for this season.. I was out wednesday trolling around and I still marked fish so I figure its worth a try.. After tomorrow morning it will be time to hang up the riggers and dig out the floater suit for this guy! Any body else heading out in the am?