Author Topic: Water levels for June  (Read 8115 times)

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
    • Time on the Water Canada
Water levels for June
« on: May 24, 2013, 06:24:07 am »
It looks like we are approaching the seasonal water level high points below chart datum. With all the rain and flooding everywhere else I thought we might make a little ground and a buffer above chart datum but I guess its not to be.

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Grandpa Jim

Re: Water levels for June
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 11:17:04 am »
John,
         I assume this is for the month of May and not June??

This isn't meant to hi-jack this thread, but the bitter half brought a local news article to my attention that I found interesting. Many fingers are pointing at the dredging of the St. Clair River as the culprit in the current low water situation in Huron and Georgian Bay. This seemed logical to me. However, the article maintains that the last dredging of this river reportedly took place in 1960!! Silting has been occurring ever since which should actually cause the mean water level to rise. I have no idea of the accuracy of the 1960 dredging date but the entire issue is certainly very complex. Hopefully the IJC folks come up with something viable in the foreseeable future.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 11:21:00 am by Grandpa Jim »
"... better to burn out, than to fade away ..." Neil Young

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 11:41:07 am »
Thanks Jim and yes the chart is for May

GBay water levels are very complex with several factors including glacial rebound, evaporation levels, the St. Mary's River and of course the St. Clair River. The original dredging took place as a result of lower water levels for barging in the early 60's. There was actually a very publicizes argument between President Nixon and Priminister Diefenbaker about the issue. Nixon said he was taking the water regardless of Canada's position. The Army Core of Engineering finished in 1963 and the expectation was that it would silt up to some degree. But instead the volume of water increased and the trench got wider through the years. The high water levels of 1986 were a contradiction to what many thought would happen but of course no one payed any attention to the longer term effects.

I believe the St. Clair is just one of the reasons for the declining levels but slowing the rate of flow is one of the only solutions. Still they estimate the best expectations of damming or slowing the flow would raise the levels by 6 to 10 cm. I'm not confident they will ever find a solution let alone act on it. I expect we will spend more in studies than actual solutions. It really is disheartening.   

RobM

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 08:52:41 am »
Funny how the Bay is struggling along. I think a lot has to do with our prevailing winds not being North West anymore otherwise those levels would be above chart datum. I have fished in the Muskokas and on Balsam, water levels are generally high. I think we are going to see the water levels maintain where they are well into the Summer. Great fishing to be had you just may be finding new honey holes that's all.

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 04:15:41 pm »
Prevailing winds do not effect water levels of the bay. They may effect the east shore if there is a west wind but the west shore will be slightly lower and visa verse. The current high water levels on the Muskoka's and Balsam are a short term effect of regional precipitation and should be back to normal range within a few weeks.

RobM

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 12:39:57 pm »
I've seen the water go up and down a foot overnight with a change in wind direction. This May is seemed we had a Easterly wind for the most part except the 15th there it must've been blowing from the West.

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 05:12:28 am »
There certainly has been a lot of easterly winds for the past couple of years and it will cause a short term rise in levels on the shore its blowing into. But the buoys that actually measure the levels average over 24 hrs and once the wind dies levels across the bay are uniform within an hour or so.   

RobM

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 01:03:18 pm »
West wind brought the water up 8" overnight

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 04:17:51 pm »
I see that. We are over chart datum :clap: :clap:

RobM

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 07:06:59 pm »
Darn wind died....

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 05:56:34 am »
I don't care about the levels anymore. I just want one flat day without wind and rain. Last year it seemed every day was perfect in the spring. This year you have to tip toe through the new mess of shoals.

Offline James

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 07:24:36 am »
I think these bass boat manufactures need to get into the jet drive world ,but with a different water pick up system than the conventional jet ski where the can pick up too much debris in skinny water . (just a thought )

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 05:02:43 pm »
We need air boats :D

Offline nauti-too

• Fishing...its a way of life...
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 11:17:18 am »
Collingwood seems to be a bit higher than Parry Sound at the moment. Hovering around chart datum and only slightly down from last season which is not that bad. Predictions is for another 6 inch rise by mid July.

Here is an article that shows some optimism. Maybe mother nature is trying to tell us something?

http://www.mlive.com/weather/index.ssf/2013/06/lake_michigan_and_lake_huron_w_1.html

Cheers...Jake
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 04:37:42 pm by nauti-too »

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 01:44:53 pm »
Certainly any rise is welcome but if the total 20 inches represents 6 to 8 inches above chart datum that is still well below anything we have seen in recent years. I guess the current weather patterns might add to what they are expecting. It has been a very wet cool spring so far. I'm not sure what to hope for now, a nice summer or more rain :D