Author Topic: Looking for a Kayak Partner  (Read 2196 times)

Offline longfish

Looking for a Kayak Partner
« on: February 14, 2023, 02:47:14 pm »
Well it won't be too long now and I will be out in the kayak.... I have almost finished rigging it for salmon. I will also be fishing other species but my quest is to fight a salmon in a kayak. To me right now it is the ultimate challenge. It took me over a year to rig this Kayak. The trolling motor took 50 weeks from order to delivery date. Full electronics on it. I hope to run into a fellow kayaker to fish with. Good to go in pairs for safety reasons. Please feel free if interested in the Waubaushene to Cedar Point Area. I am based in Waubaushene. My ride is a Hobie 14 ft Pro Angler. Equipped with a Fishawk, Helix ten, Ulterra #80 and soon a mega 360.
Born to work.......retired to fish.

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline longfish

Re: Looking for a Kayak Partner
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 03:35:30 pm »
Pic 2
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 03:37:04 pm by longfish »

Offline longfish

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 03:37:46 pm »
Pic 3

Offline Krawler

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 08:46:02 am »
Although not a Kayak Angler good luck this season.  Cedar point area is great for a kayak troll.  Very easy access to deep water and well protected from wind.  I often go there during a south wind when most other places are unfishable.  Fishing is good June-Aug for  Trout and Salmon. 

Offline longfish

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 10:08:44 pm »
Although not a Kayak Angler good luck this season.  Cedar point area is great for a kayak troll.  Very easy access to deep water and well protected from wind.  I often go there during a south wind when most other places are unfishable.  Fishing is good June-Aug for  Trout and Salmon.

Thx Krawler....I saw that protection when I looked for spots on avionics as well as the quick access....I always read your posts by the way....You are a very knowledgeable Salmon/Trout fisherman....your posts have taught me a lot....I will be looking for you on the water this summer. I will pick some quiet days to fish the hole too.....not weekends thats a for sure.....all the tourists are out there.

Arnie

Arnie

Offline longfish

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2023, 10:11:37 pm »
I have seen some Kayakers out there but out of Waubaushene which is where I run out of. The beauty of the Kayak is it goes in the back of the F-150 and I plan to launch off Cedar Point and also a little beach park I found about 3 k from the hole.

Arnie

Offline Krawler

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2023, 08:20:07 am »
You can also take a drive along champlain rd.  I think if you drive to the very end where the road turns to go into awenda their is a beach access spot.  Not much of a beach but i think there is public access parking.  You can launch and have easy access to some excellent shoreline and structure for trolling especially after a sustained NW wind or shallow water spring time trolling.  PM me for more info on early season access.  Not sure how heavy your kayak is but Marks point has a park with access to the water, a small incline but very close to excellent Lake trout and salmon grounds.  Dont forget about Wasaga too in early spring.

Offline longfish

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2023, 10:00:31 pm »
Wow thank you Krawler I really appreciate that info. The kayak has wheels under it so I can wheel it. If I have to carry it I would pass. I have the kayak fairly loaded for salmon and not sure distance you are talking about but even stripped kayak is about 90 lbs. I am 73 and my carrying days are over. I will check that out. I was around Awenda Park last year and did see a beach area in that vicinity but will recheck it this Spring....thanks again.....tight lines. I just found both the parks you are talking about....missed them both driving around.....but thx to you I will now find them.

Arnie
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 10:21:56 pm by longfish »

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2023, 09:36:43 am »
I strongly recommend you NOT try to fish the hole in a kayak. It’s major busy boat route for large cruisers and cottage boaters and even in weather is calm the traffic and wakes are significant. Also many of the cruisers do not pay attention to others and there is a real risk of getting run down. Like Krawler says the areas around cedar point and marks point and Awenda are better. Definitely get a tall flag and maybe a radar reflector if you are venturing off shore. (FYI I fish those areas all the time in my Sea Ray. We have a cottage on the beach side of the bay in tiny too. I have a kayak and some day will set it up for fishing off that beach too.

Offline longfish

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2023, 08:02:48 pm »
I strongly recommend you NOT try to fish the hole in a kayak. It’s major busy boat route for large cruisers and cottage boaters and even in weather is calm the traffic and wakes are significant. Also many of the cruisers do not pay attention to others and there is a real risk of getting run down. Like Krawler says the areas around cedar point and marks point and Awenda are better. Definitely get a tall flag and maybe a radar reflector if you are venturing off shore. (FYI I fish those areas all the time in my Sea Ray. We have a cottage on the beach side of the bay in tiny too. I have a kayak and some day will set it up for fishing off that beach too.

I also know the area well in regards to the hole......I will never be there on a weekend....if you read above I said the place is a zoo for cruisers. Have you ever been in a kayak. Have you ever been in a Hobie 14 ft Pro Angler? do me a favour and YouTube two words Hobie 500 lbs Marlin. let me know your thoughts. They are using a Hobie that is 4 ft shorter than mine. This is not a Canadian Tire Pelican.

Arnie

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2023, 10:47:13 pm »
I also know the area well in regards to the hole......I will never be there on a weekend....if you read above I said the place is a zoo for cruisers. Have you ever been in a kayak. Have you ever been in a Hobie 14 ft Pro Angler? do me a favour and YouTube two words Hobie 500 lbs Marlin. let me know your thoughts. They are using a Hobie that is 4 ft shorter than mine. This is not a Canadian Tire Pelican.

Arnie
Nope, never been in one of those kayaks.  But I have spent about 250 hours in the hole in the last 20 years and at least another 200 on the other parts of the bay.  And I can tell you the hole is busy on weekdays in the summer too.  Definitely stay as visible as you can.  I know from experience that boats running through there are not paying attention to small boats fishing and the risk of being run down is real. 

Offline longfish

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2023, 11:43:15 pm »
Nope, never been in one of those kayaks.  But I have spent about 250 hours in the hole in the last 20 years and at least another 200 on the other parts of the bay.  And I can tell you the hole is busy on weekdays in the summer too.  Definitely stay as visible as you can.  I know from experience that boats running through there are not paying attention to small boats fishing and the risk of being run down is real.

I too have fished the hole and know that area well....where Krawler told me I will fish too as I have never been that far out of Waubaushene.....I have other species fished the bay for 27 years and up the locks at Port Severn for another 25 years. I am not new to boating and have no desire to be out on super windy days....that is not even fun in your boat. Not sure if you looked at my kayak....there are pics of it.....also saw you were from Oakville......I will be also fishing out of Bronte, Fishermans Pier , Grimsby and Port Dalhousie depending on what fish is where at the time. I am fairly new at salmon fishing and kayaking but am a very safe boater and do not take chances or expect my equipment to out do what it is meant for. that kayak is fully equipped as a fishing machine and actually electronically equipped better than most cruisers that are out there. When at the hole I will be fishing off the North end of Beaseleil Island North of Gin Rocks and west of Osprey Bank....if you see me out there come say hello. When in Lake O I am with other kayakers. I have full navigation lighting and a large Canadian flag and will prolly be in a very bright dry suit with my life vest on......I wear it religiously no matter the size of boat. I wish they would change the law as a must wear instead of have onboard. I have boated since I was 15 and am 73 now but yes going on about 24.

Arnie