Author Topic: Salmon Spoons  (Read 22463 times)

Offline Tom McCutcheon

Re: Salmon Spoons
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2020, 07:59:52 pm »
In order to assist with changing regulations for a Fish Management Zone (FMZ) you would be wise to get involved with the discussions. Each FMZ has representatives from the OMNRF, commercial fishers, First Nation groups, cottage associations, boating clubs, fishing clubs etc. along with the OFAH.

Georgian Bay falls into FMZ 14

https://www.ontario.ca/page/fisheries-management-zone-14-fmz-14
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 08:09:46 pm by Tom McCutcheon »

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline MarkD

« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2020, 10:04:16 pm »
In order to assist with changing regulations for a Fish Management Zone (FMZ) you would be wise to get involved with the discussions. Each FMZ has representatives from the OMNRF, commercial fishers, First Nation groups, cottage associations, boating clubs, fishing clubs etc. along with the OFAH.
Yes, right. As I never was involved in such discussions and personally have very limited ability to do that, I think it is better to try to find someone who is familiar with the situation and also interested in changing regs. Then, I and may be someone else would be willing to give support for that.

Offline Krawler

« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2020, 10:31:55 pm »
Has always been an interest of mine to get more involved in the waters we fish.  I will look into this further myself. 

Thanks for continuing the discussion.

Offline Floats Gone

« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2020, 11:11:08 pm »
Its seems as if every year the topic comes up about being able to fish 2 rods while trolling out on the bay. I spoke with an MNR officer this year about it at the fishing show and what he said was basically that the one rod limit doesn't really pertain to salmon/trout guys. The one rod limit is in place so when guys are trolling around the 30 000 islands for say pike or walleye, it lowers the chances of out of season fish being caught/harmed as well as those anglers will have a harder time being able to catch there limit fish. I asked why not just have an exception for us salmon/trout guys and he said it could be hard to differentiate what species people would be fishing for and anglers could claim, for example, they are fishing skinny water rainbows even if they were fishing for something else.
He also said discussions and plans about having zones, say like anything west of Beausoleil island, being opened up so you would able to use two rods while trolling have been brought up before so we shall see.

Offline MarkD

« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2020, 04:29:23 pm »
Great info, Floats Gone, thank you!
That clarifies the things, however, still doesn't make much sense to me. GB has possession limit only 2 for pike. Pretty tough, especially comparing neighboring "internal" lakes and rivers (there is 4 for Zone 15). That's not logical, as it is much easily to fish out a small lake than GB.
Anyway, I think creating zones in GB is the right way to go.
Does anyone has an idea what kind of discussion they are going to have - any info on that? May be we could drop our 5 cents to that....

Offline Downrigger newbe

« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2020, 08:12:19 pm »
My son and I have been new to downrigging in GB for the last two years and only washed our Williams, linesmen and various spoons. We troll from 2.8 to 3.2 mostly through Thompson hole.
I have pinned various spots but no luck not even a bass or pike .....  well a FISH lol I am ready to call it ... I would never survive as a fisherman. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline MarkD

« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2020, 01:53:26 pm »
Newbe,
there is a lot of info and discussions here  and on other forums about downrigging technique etc. Just go through.
I started downrigging last year and initially was also frustrated with no result. I got advice from different people to go to lake Ontario where fishing is much better than in GB and get some confidence.
I went a couple times, got couple fish each time and got some confidence.
Then it is hard to advise unless you ask specific questions.But really, almost everything is already answered. There are a lot of videos on youtube as well.

Offline Tom McCutcheon

« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2020, 04:30:59 pm »
Great info, Floats Gone, thank you!
That clarifies the things, however, still doesn't make much sense to me. GB has possession limit only 2 for pike. Pretty tough, especially comparing neighboring "internal" lakes and rivers (there is 4 for Zone 15). That's not logical, as it is much easily to fish out a small lake than GB.
Anyway, I think creating zones in GB is the right way to go.
Does anyone has an idea what kind of discussion they are going to have - any info on that? May be we could drop our 5 cents to that....

You sound like a passionate person and I don't know if this will help answer your questions MarkD, but here goes.

If you wish to get involved with ANY of the FMZs you will need to contact the OMNRF Zone Mgr. and inquire how. Another alternative, a lot of the fishing clubs in the area may already have a representative on the management committee. Join one or several of those clubs and ask if you could assist by volunteering.
Once you get involved, it can be quite rewarding physically as well as knowing that you may have made a difference for the fishery and the future generations of anglers who will continue to enjoy the resource.

Good luck.

Offline MarkD

« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2020, 05:05:27 pm »
Thanks, Tom.
Of course, I was thinking about joining a club, but I live in Mississauga and fishing in GB and basically interested only in GB... Quite difficult to find time to go there even for fishing...
Also, I'm not a person who talk clearly and whom people enjoy to talk with. As well as have impaired hearing. So I'm trying to avoid any live communication and mostly use written correspondence...
However, if I would find someone who involve in any activities discussed here I would try to help whatever I can.

Offline Tom McCutcheon

« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2020, 05:37:45 pm »
Makes sense Mark.

My advice would also be good for anyone else who lives (home owners association) or cottages (cottage association) on Georgian Bay and could attend the meetings.

Offline rybka2019

« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2020, 12:10:39 am »
MarkD/Downrigger newbe:  Downrigging can be frustrating. Too much eater to cover vertically and horizontally.  Have you ever looked at something like the Cannonlink system.  It’s a older product that linked certain fishfinders directly to certain downriggers and allows you to control the downrigger using the fishfinders buttons.  I love it for diwnrigging, I find being able to see the fish on sonar and then being able to adjust the downrigger up or down almost instantly really helps catch more fish and it’s a bit like playing a video game so it keeps everyone in the boat a little more interested in what’s going on.  Purists might frown on relying on technology so much but it help makes up for not having the luxury of years of fishing experience and local knowledge.  If you not have limited time to fish something like that might help you increase the odds and fun. Hard to find them these days but sometimes you can find used ones online.

Offline MarkD

« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2020, 03:09:20 pm »
Thanks for suggestion, rybka2019
It is indeed outdated product and anyway it would require the whole system update: downrigger, sonar plus Cannonlink system itself. Tons of money.
I'm wondering if anyone tried to attach an icefishing underwater camera to a cannonball? As I can guess the main problem here would be the drug from the camera's cable. But if something like that would be possible that would be a really good thing to entertain everybody in the boat....

Offline Tom McCutcheon

« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2020, 04:06:35 pm »
I know many people attach Go-Pro cameras to their cannon ball, as well as just in front of the lure or attractant/flasher. I am not sure of the technology (not a techy) but the videos are awesome and you may be able to view it live on board the boat somehow.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 07:56:13 pm by Tom McCutcheon »

Offline rybka2019

« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2020, 01:05:39 am »
I’ve used a Waterwolf camera trolling (but not downrigging) and it worked pretty well.  The follows and misses can be just as entertaining as the hits. 

Offline John Kendell

« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2020, 10:48:08 pm »
I also use a Waterwolf - I mounted the holder to my cannonball fin.  Great clarity up here on Gbay.  Spotted 3 salmon swiping at my spoon tonight, but only had one of them pop the rod and spit the hook.