Author Topic: Trolling report  (Read 34804 times)

Offline Krawler

Trolling report
« on: May 25, 2020, 06:51:39 am »
Did anyone make it out this past weekend?  Ramps open and Bay was calm for the most part. 

Made it out Friday midday fished 5 spots around the islands.  Only Hooked Up with one laker.
I new it was going to be a grind but Bay was too nice not to head out. Water temps mid 50’s, marked a lot of good hooks but couldn’t turn them. They were all over the water column, as expected.

Saturday am headed out at 5 and tried areas close to Notty
Fished 30-60 fow for the most part.  Managed 4 lakers. Decent size too.
Went out to 80-100fow got a bow and small salmon on 6 color core, took a decent rip on the core and buried the board for a few seconds and fish was gone.
Water temps were in the high 40’s.
Saturday pm fished same area and got 2 more Lakers, both big naturals. Released.
All fish caught on mix of Spoons.

Silver fish are always tough to find this time of year.  In a few weeks will be better.
Bows in the Gbay blue zone will be heating up soon as well.

Saw quite a few boats out Saturday.

Anyone catching? 

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline MarkD

Re: Trolling report
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 11:47:20 am »
Impressive result!
Thanks for your report!
As I reported previously, we were out 12 Mile bay on Saturday for a day without any hits at all.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 04:30:54 pm by MarkD »

Offline MarkD

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 03:09:47 pm »
Krawler, may I ask you when did you get lakers was your setup different from the time when you got salmons (speed, lures etc)
Thanks!

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 10:56:39 am »
So my boat is finally in the water.  Took a shake-down trip out to around Giant's Tomb and Awenda Saturday AM.  Didn't stay out long.  It was "brisk" and lumpy and was not marking anything so let's just call that a shakedown trial run!.  I trolled out past the green can and back to the point at Awenda and then back along the park towards the east.  The only place I marked anything was in shallow off the park in two spots.  Looked like maybe bait and lakers?  Trolled back through and nada, so headed back to Hindson.

Took the dinghy out in the bay off Hindson and has some fun with some pike.  They are a blast in shallow when you can seen them slash at the lures.  Caught a couple and missed a couple more.  Took nice little one home for lunch.  My wife and I love Old Bay / Panko breaded pike. 

Offline Wasagabeach

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 05:06:24 pm »
I dropped the boat in Wasaga before sunrise.  It looked great out but all I did today was wash all my lures and burn fuel! Off the water at 12:30 and I didn’t want to leave lol.  So that’s it for me. No more down rigging until July.  We’ve been having a blast with the pike and now I’ll be looking for walleye.

Offline buck

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 05:23:46 pm »
Lake trout....all the action apparently has been “around the islands”.....simply too far me to run.....i was at Awenda /Methodist today for a few hours...bait fish....didn’t see any marks...has anyone been at Ballard’s.....or the east side of Beckwith?

It was one fine fine day tho!...that is why my grandfather said they called it fishing not catching!

Any input would be appreciated

Offline Krawler

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 07:46:12 pm »
Did a morning troll today.

3/4
2 salmon, one laker. Lost a solid fish.
Salmon was 12 and 9lbs

Fish were scattered throughout the water column.  Temps varied.  Switch up depths And baits as sun rose.  Lots of unusual currents. Plan was to target South and East facing shorelines that were less Disturbed from weekend winds. Proved to effective with bait and hooks on screen and some solid fish.  Lots of smelt in the fish. A good sign!
Hearing of some decent reports from around the Bay.  Setting up for a good season.

Offline Kevin B

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 08:18:29 pm »
2 of us went out of Wasaga this morning at 7am and back in by 11am.  2 Lakers, 1 rainbow and my biggest Chinook ever in Georgian Bay.  A healthy very silver 26 lb beast.  I was surprised at this time of year.  I had to make sure I wasn't in Lake O.  I tried attaching a pic but I keep getting an error that the file is too large.  Any tips?

Offline Krawler

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 09:25:48 pm »
Amazing. Congrats! Fish of a lifetime!

Would love to see a pic!

Offline MarkD

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 10:32:29 pm »
I tried attaching a pic but I keep getting an error that the file is too large.  Any tips?
Yes, the max size for attachment is only 128 KB. If you use Win 10 you can use Photo Gallery to resize it to smallest possible size (I think it is 640) - this way you would be able to attach it. You can also use Windows Paint or Paint.net (free nice app) to downsize your pics.

Offline John Kendell

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2020, 11:20:10 pm »
Fished from 6:15 to 9:30 from Collingwood to Beach 6 tonight.  Marked a lot of suspended hooks (60-100 in 100-110 fow).  1/4 on lakers, dropped three after a few head shakes.  Camera showed 7 follows, no hits, one being a chinook.  58F surface, 48F at 60, 42F at 110.  The laker had 30-40 smelt in it's stomach including a half dozen fresh ones 4-5" long.  I have not marked a school of bait yet off Collingwood, but lots of hooks.  With so many refusals on camera the fish seem pretty selective.  I have to wonder if it's line shy, lure colour, or type.  Most lakers have been on NK mag (sil/green) and a few on NK28 sil/blue.  They have been long time classics up here for me.  16 boats out tonight.

Congrats on the big chinook - especially this early.  Hopefully a sign of things to come this summer.  John

Offline Kevin B

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2020, 07:22:24 am »
Thanks MARK D.  I will try that and will post the pic.

Offline Kevin B

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2020, 07:27:01 am »
Here are 2 pics of that 26lber from Monday morning.

Offline Kevin B

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2020, 07:29:39 am »
Here is a second..

Offline Wasagabeach

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2020, 08:01:30 am »
That is an awesome fish!  I heard some Hollering when I was out there! Now I know why!  I only marked 4 fish on bottom but I had a fish jump about 100 feet away from me.   I had unusual currents where I was too.