Author Topic: Last weekend in July, Midland  (Read 1000 times)

Offline MountainM

Last weekend in July, Midland
« on: July 07, 2021, 03:41:52 pm »
Hi Guys,

Spending a few days at a cottage up in the Grandview Beach area. Going to drag up the boat I think and hopefully get a few morning\evening fishes in. I'd like to downrig if possible, sounds to me like I need to get up to at least Giants Tomb to find fish? Seems like it might be a long run from the cottage. Is there ANY sort of ramps up there closer to the islands. My boat needs no water to launch so I can launch off a beach or almost anything as long as it isn't too exposed. I'd take any suggestions!

Thanks!

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Krawler

Re: Last weekend in July, Midland
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 09:45:10 am »
No idea where Grandview is but you will not find a public access launch to the islands closer than Penetang.  No need to go to the Tomb to start downrigging.  Closest 70-100 fow area you find will be good enough for a chance at some salmon or trout.  Areas like The Hole, Sawlog, Awenda are all well known spots and can be accessed easily from Penetang.  With the right wind these areas can be prime fishing for a few days. 

Offline SuperH

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 01:03:13 pm »
Good comment regarding the various areas to find salmon and trout.  You say if the wind is right, so for my benefit what is the right wind vs wrong wind when fishing "the hole"?

Offline MountainM

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 01:29:35 pm »
The cottage is just to the east of Wye marina. Somewhere around here https://goo.gl/maps/NjMrDPEypDJNQt8h8

is "the hole" the deep pocket between sawlog\beausoleil? 

Then I'd imagine as you come around sawlog you have deep water all along the north side of the shoreline, and up in to giants tomb and to the west. At least looking at the chart.

Best spot to launch in penetang? Is it worth it, or just dump in midland and drive the boat north? I'd also take any private launches if they were closer. :) What winds are we looking for? a north, north west to suck warm water out of the pocket and get cold water in there?

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 01:51:45 pm »
Public boat launch in Penetang is simple and easy and ample parking.  Other marina's have launches too, but Penetang might be easiest.  It will save some boat driving as compared to Wye Heritage.  There are others further up Penetang Bay too.

Not sure what boat you have, but watch the winds.  Severn Sound is pretty open and any winds over 15 knots is not great unless your boat is a decent size.  North or NW winds are the worst in the sound, but its open enough that any wind can kick up decent waves.  And there is a lot of large boat traffic in that area too. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 01:55:53 pm by Canuck »

Offline MountainM

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2021, 02:13:26 pm »
There looks like there is a small launch behind Waypoint Hospital... On Church st you'll see a ball diamond, just behind that. Can anyone confirm? This is towards the mouth of the bay, and on the side I'm on so would be the closest spot. It might not be, the quality in google earth isn't good enough.

Offline JL

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2021, 04:02:06 pm »
IIRC, that property belongs to Waypoint so Iím not sure that itís open to the public.

I launch in Penetang if fishing that side. Easy launch, lots of parking, sheltered.