Author Topic: Canoe Thread  (Read 4764 times)

Offline 5weight

Canoe Thread
« on: March 24, 2012, 06:57:37 pm »
Hi All,

Love all the great info on the kayak thread. I'm in the market probably for a canoe though (but maybe a kayak now that I read all the info). I don't suppose anyone would like to share their canoe fishing outfits? Suggestions on going that route?

5W

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline The Kayaker

Re: Canoe Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 09:50:55 pm »
5W, I have a 16 foot fiberglass canoe also.

I find when I am out solo that the wind is much more a factor since the canoe has higher lines.
I found that when I troll in the canoe, instead of installing rod holders that damage the hull, I use a set of wood clamps and use them as a stop for the rod. I can keep an eye on the tip and move the clamp to my liking.

I am much more careful when I am in the canoe as I am worried of hitting rocks or scrapping bottom. In the kayak, being that it is moulded, I am not affraid of rubbing over shallow areas.

Jon

Offline Canuckbass

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 09:20:10 am »
Hey 5w,
The Jackson Cuda is made to hold fly rods as well, with full tip protectors, you can move comfy seat to the back and open up a lot of space for fly anglers.
Jackson Kayaks were made by professional anglers for anglers needs. If you are close to Orillia or Gravenhurst, Paddleshack have a few in stock.

Offline Grandpa Jim

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 09:16:43 pm »
I have a 17' Alumacraft, bought new, that is now over 35 years old. I've made little use of it in recent years but caught a good number of fish from it in the Kawarthas. Being aluminum, I had no hesitation to fit clamp type rod holders to it. Still perfectly watertight despite some rough use in whitewater conditions. I've caught decent muskies from this canoe but always tried to make it to shore and beach the bigger ones. Just seemed safer to unhook and release good sized fish where there was a little more working room. Never had any fancy equipment as my brother would usually cast from the bow seat while I paddled and trolled from the stern. Also took a lot of trout (lakers and specks) from annual spring trips into Algonquin. When you're portaging, equipment was kept to a minimum so rigging was extremely simplistic. I've seen clamp on manual Big Jon downriggers that are designed for small boat and canoe usage. I'd suggest keeping things simple and add gear as you eventually see fit.
"... better to burn out, than to fade away ..." Neil Young

Offline Aaronlycle

• AaronlycleNU
Canoe Thread
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 06:43:24 pm »
Hey guys

The club meeting will be tonight 01/08/13 at 7 pm
At canoe and kayak 545 Te Rapa road  opposite rollos marine

Can you please bring a chair if you have one.

See you there

Thanks, arnie