Author Topic: GB Brown trout?  (Read 7176 times)

Offline MarkD

GB Brown trout?
« on: May 06, 2020, 12:44:46 pm »
I know there is catchable brown trout in Huron near East shore. But is there any in GB specifically East portion South of Parry Sound? Had anyone got them?

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Krawler

Re: GB Brown trout?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 02:17:37 pm »
I have only ever caught one brown since starting to troll the bay in the early 90's, it was caught east of Wasaga on Apil 12, 2017.  I troll all around the islands on Southern Gbay, never heard of one beight caught around their either.  Walleye are more common than browns while trolling and I heard of only 1-2 caught each year.  I persoanlly and never caught a walleye while downrigging.  Both species extremely rare to catch while downrigging on the Bay.

Offline MarkD

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 06:40:38 pm »
Thanks for your reply, Krawler.
I heard from a guy that he is catching walleye regularly out of Honey Harbor. Not sure if it is true as it is a quite busy area.
I fish mostly North of Go Home and South of Parry, but never got a walleye. Even though the area looks promising.

Offline dustybacon

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 10:48:59 pm »
I used to see the odd one at the Midland town docks several years ago, always in October when the water was cooling down but there were still some warm days. I'm sure they're still around but I haven't spotted them since

Offline MarkD

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 12:36:53 pm »
I believe browns are present in Huron only because there are stocked from US shore and by Lake Huron Fishing Club.
https://www.lakehuronfishingclub.com/about
As nobody stock them in GB there may be only accidental catch when some odd fish would lost there way in Huron waters

Offline Wasagabeach

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 10:05:45 am »
I believe browns are present in Huron only because there are stocked from US shore and by Lake Huron Fishing Club.
As nobody stock them in GB there may be only accidental catch when some odd fish would lost there way in Huron waters

Are you sure nobody stocks them in GB!   I know of one club that does!

Offline MarkD

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 09:48:44 pm »
Are you sure nobody stocks them in GB!   I know of one club that does!
I would appreciate if you elaborate a bit more...

Offline Wasagabeach

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 11:32:14 am »
Lol.  Georgian triangle anglers association out of collingwood stocks bows, browns and specks.  They’ve been stocking for many years and they are always appreciative of help with donations or manpower.  They usually hold a few derbies to help fund their hatchery and this year will be tough without donations.

Offline work2fish

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 11:43:04 pm »
I've caught one on the bay tiny beaches area,  many years ago. Was just over 10lbs.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Offline MarkD

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 01:11:00 am »
Lol.  Georgian triangle anglers association out of collingwood stocks bows, browns and specks.  They’ve been stocking for many years and they are always appreciative of help with donations or manpower.  They usually hold a few derbies to help fund their hatchery and this year will be tough without donations.
Not sure why it's LOL... I'm new in this field and just didn't know.
Also it is very strange to me that if there is stoking fish for many years and that fish is almost never caught...

Offline Wasagabeach

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 10:44:16 am »

You told us that nobody stocks them in GB. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 10:47:13 am by Wasagabeach »

Offline MarkD

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 02:53:54 pm »
Ohh, I'm sorry if I didn't express myself correctly and it sounded as piece of information but I was rather guessing and trying to find a reason for absence of browns in GB.
But now I'm even more puzzled... If browns are stocked for years in south of GB why they are so rare caught?
Wasagabeach, are you sure they stock browns in GB? Their website also mentions brook trout. I don't think they stock brook in GB... May be they stock browns somewhere else as well?

Offline alexanderlben

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 06:48:33 pm »
Here is a link to stocking reports and I don't see anything for the last 2 years, didn't bother going further back then that. http://www.glfc.org/fishstocking/exactsearch.htm
I don't fish in your area but on the huron side after April and early May I don't catch Browns. They must not be in the same areas as lake trout or salmon during the warmer months.

Offline MarkD

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2020, 09:59:49 pm »
Wow!
alexanderlben,
I really appreciate your first post here.
I didn't know about this site and very thankful you point on it out. It will take me some time to get through it though..
May I ask your opinion if this site covers all stocking to Great lakes, including some "private", not government based sources?
Thanks! very interesting!

Offline Wasagabeach

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2020, 10:05:07 pm »
They stock browns in the collingwood harbour and brookies up on blue mountain And rainbows in Thornbury.  CTV news was there a couple of times when they stocked browns in the harbour.  Not many people do catch them but there are browns caught in excess of 10lbs being caught there so I think you would need to change your presentation to be successful for them.   I’ve only ever got 3 with the biggest at 5 lbs