Author Topic: Fishing the triangle  (Read 125739 times)

Offline Searcher

Re: Fishing the triangle
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 08:15:07 pm »
Picked up a laker, and large salmon west side of Giants Tomb this afternoon.

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline bigturk43

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 11:23:47 pm »
Picked up another 2 lakers tonight. Lots of bait again. Lakers were full of smelt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cheezypoof

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 06:55:38 pm »
Saw something interesting.  Water was like glass.  Saw what looked like a very small area of surfacing small bait fish at the surface in maybe 70 ft of water.  Looked like a very small version of a tuna frenzy.  Trolled over and tried casting stick baits in the area where they were, but nothing. No bait showing on the sonar either. Maybe rainbows driving bait to the surface?  Never seen it before on the bay.   

I saw the same thing for the first time last year (over on the west side of the bay where we fish) - so we started trolling half-cores through that zone and got into some steelhead - I think you're right they're driving the bait to the surface.

Offline Krawler

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 09:58:20 am »
Made it out for 3 times this past weekend, each trip 2 hours.
Saturday morning I fished south of Christian, 9-11am, 0/0
Saturday 6-8pm Marks point 1/1 and then inside of Christian 1/1 both lakers.
Noticed lots of bait at both locations always hugging the bottom and plenty of marks on screen hugging bottom and surrounding the bait, likely all lakers. 
Sunday am 9-11am Cedar point, winds were up from the south so I seeked calmer waters and that usually
Means fishing around Cedar point.  Again lots of good bait and the usual marks on bottom in 60-80fow. Marked a few fish higher up but no takers.  Managed 2 lakers.  I wasn't targeting them but I don't mind them as I wait for the silver fish to bite.  I wonder if I made it out earlier or stayed later if I would have caught a silver.  Lots of wobbly pops this weekend so early morning and late evenings are out of the question. 
All fish were caught on Meegs spoons.  Learned about these spoons from the report section on this page and had the pleasure of meeting the maker of these spoons.  He makes a great product and unlike other spoons his are of great quality, no tape, no chipping paint.  Great action on the spoons and quality hooks too.  The color schemes are really different too.
Kris

Offline HydroTherapy

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 01:24:50 pm »
Hey guys - I'm new to this forum.  I head out from Thornbury and have been out 5 or 6 times over the past few weeks.  Usually early mornings around 5:30 and the odd eveing.   I'm trying everything - both shallow and deeper water (over shoals) and down various depths. 

Not marking much and cant seem to find bait fish.  The odd scum line but nothing.  Wondering if I take a longer ride over to Christian as it seems to be more active - but longer ride than typically want.  Sounds like a some activity off Collingwood too which is good news.

Any tips or spots guys - happy to provide info on what isn't working and what is when I get rolling.  Great forum and thanks guys.

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 06:47:47 pm »
I would suggest not looking for shoals but rather depth transitions. I find that places where the depth changes from 120 ft to 80 in a short distance. Ridges and mounds in deep water create upwelling currents. It's temperature as much as anything too.

Take a look at this.  I circled where I would try if i was in that area.  (Warning, I have NEVER fished that area, this is just a guess based on what I see on the charts)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 10:37:33 pm by Canuck »

Offline Canuck

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 10:42:17 pm »
Ok folks.  Heading up to the cottage tomorrow and going to try fishing tomorrow late afternoon into evening.  I picked up some anchovies from Shortwave Marine so will likely try that if it looks like the silvers are around.  Will post the results. Wish me luck!

Offline Krawler

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 11:51:13 pm »
Looks like Thursday will be the only calm day, ill be up by 5 and on the water by 6 for the evening troll.  Anchovies are a good bet.  If i had them, id run them.  ill be on ch 71 vhf.  good luck.

Offline Krawler

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 11:53:42 pm »
Hey guys - I'm new to this forum.  I head out from Thornbury and have been out 5 or 6 times over the past few weeks.  Usually early mornings around 5:30 and the odd eveing.   I'm trying everything - both shallow and deeper water (over shoals) and down various depths. 

Not marking much and cant seem to find bait fish.  The odd scum line but nothing.  Wondering if I take a longer ride over to Christian as it seems to be more active - but longer ride than typically want.  Sounds like a some activity off Collingwood too which is good news.

Any tips or spots guys - happy to provide info on what isn't working and what is when I get rolling.  Great forum and thanks guys.

You can try running deep.  If you arnt seeing much of anything in your usual spots then try the opposite, maybe go deeper or shallower.  first few calm days i plan on running 10 miles plus offshore in search of rainbows. 

Offline bigturk43

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2016, 12:34:28 am »
Looking to be on the water by 5. Good luck guys.

Offline jfneron

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2016, 09:49:37 pm »
Have not marked a single fish all summer last year but this year I see many. Havent caught a single one yet but they are there, right in front of Wasaga Beach:

Note: If anyone want to join me on my 23' Kingfisher boat I am on vacation all July and alone so I can take 1 or 2 people with me anytime.

JF Néron
River Rd E, Wasaga beach

Offline Salmon Sublx8r01

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2016, 09:59:40 pm »
Pulled a few spoons today  out of Thornbury with my son . Marked a couple 30-40 over 80 but no takers.... The bass were slamming at the mouth of the river though.

Offline bigturk43

Fishing the triangle
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2016, 10:14:48 pm »
0/1 tonight. My son lost it. Larger laker too. Funny to see how impressed a 7 year old gets with a lakers pulling power :) 80ft of water down 60. Inside Christian Isl.
Marked alot of bait. What a difference from last year.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 10:18:02 pm by bigturk43 »

Offline Canuck

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2016, 11:30:21 pm »
3 smaller lakers and one shaker salmon.  Took two lakers home for breakfast. Giants Tomb.  Not much bait but quite a few pockets of lakers. Nice evening though.

Offline Smiath

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2016, 04:19:24 pm »
I made it out for my first troll last night with some success. We decided to shoot for some lakers for something to do and we ended up with 5 trout and one shaker. It felt great to be out again and a perfect night to be out!