Author Topic: Water temps  (Read 1463 times)

Offline andrew9638

Water temps
« on: June 18, 2020, 09:19:00 am »
I was just reading an article on salmon and water temps and I think it’s time to buy a unit to measure at depth. Is it worth getting the fish hawk xd? I’m not up for spending a grand on the probe units. Any other options out there?

I would also appreciate any advice on water temperatures around the islands. What to look for? How do water temperatures behave in this region? Is there a lot of currents around there? I’m just looking to learn in general about the area. Feel free to PM me if your info is too specific  :)

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline work2fish

Re: Water temps
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 10:04:04 am »
There are different probes you can get.  Depth raider (coated cabled wire) and fish hawk (wireless). I run fishawk so you don't have to mess with coated wire. The main two advantages of a probe.

1. Water temp at the ball.
2. Speed at the ball.

You should be able to mark your rigger balls on your finder but if you can you get the depth of the aswell.

I cant comment on the currents on the bay as I just moved back up this way and am learning myself but I've seen up to 1mph on certain days on lake O.
So you would be trolling 3.5 mph on the surface to get 2.5 at the ball.

$ permitting I would say a probe will increase your success and is worth the spend.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Offline Krawler

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 11:21:55 am »
I could write a book about this topic.  In short, temp probe helps considerably on any body of water.  I have the Fish Hawk X4, you dont need the X4d.  Mind you I fished for years without it.  As long as you have a good graph that shows your cannonballs you should be ok.  I like having it because I find its interesting to see how and where temps change and why.  Some places on the Bay current isn't a huge factor in fact most places it isnt, its nowhere near as bad as Lake Ontario.    Its when you start fishing structure and in rough water then speed at the ball is vital. 

Case in point just last night I was going 1.6 surface and getting 3 at the ball fishing tight to a drop.  I use 16-20lb balls so not much blowback to judge the currents. 

Hope this helps

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 09:23:22 pm »
I got a Fishhawk X4d a few years ago (Xmas gift from my wife!).  I find it very interesting but I don’t catch any more fish before and after.  What it is good for is knowing the true depth/speed at the ball. I use 12lb Torpedo weights and I know exactly what the true depth is on the one and can intepret the other knowing the difference from what they show on sonar vs the actual from the fishhawk.  I find it better for lakers where in late summer you want to run right near bottom but not snag up on the rock.

Offline andrew9638

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 09:36:32 pm »
No doubt it sounds like the fish hawk x4 is where it’s at. The $200 fish hawk TD could get me temps and I can see the balls on the graph.
So basically another $1000 for speed at ball and the convenience of temp readings that are constant real time on a display.
Err... I hate these decisions.

Offline buck

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 07:02:44 am »
Good info guys...much appreciated

Where did you guys get your X4?

With my old riggers blow back is a big unknown....and who knew about underwater currents?...later in the year temp to find the thermocline

I will buy my way to more fish....when all else fails....”throw money at it”

Buck

Offline buck

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 07:28:04 am »
Answered my own question...shopped around...

Best deal i found...Sail,,,,signed up for the newsletter...got 10% off....right around a $1000 including tax....free shipping

New toy...yippee!

Offline cheezypoof

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 09:30:10 am »
I started with a Depthraider and moved to the FishHawk X4D about 4 years ago. I much prefer the FishHawk. The coated cable needed for the Depthraider was a pain to maintain, I replaced the entire spool with new coated cable every couple years and would still lose signal beyond 90' to 100'. The FishHawk signal holds at any depth (have tried up to 150'), and blowback is no worse than the DR. Depth readout with the X4D is a nice feature, but not nearly as important as speed and temp so don't worry too much about that if you want to save a few $.