Author Topic: Water level down significantly?  (Read 2712 times)

Offline rybka2019

Water level down significantly?
« on: October 13, 2020, 08:32:31 am »
It looks to me like it dropped rapidly, especially on Monday, by several inches in Penetang harbour area. Is that a natural occurrence or deliberate (drawdown)? Just wondering if I missed the memo on that! I went out around noon and by the time I got back I could barely get my boat into my lift by 5pm.

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Steve72george

Re: Water level down significantly?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 09:09:18 am »
ive been seeing alot of posts on social media asking the same thing

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Offline Krawler

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 09:32:34 am »
2 days of East or SE winds and both days were pretty strong will push that water away from the East side of the Bay. Let the winds die down or change direction and water levels will rebound

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 11:15:01 am »
Its not permanently down, just the "seiche" effect of the east wind pushing the water out and the normal fall drop.  Click the link to the right and top that shows current water levels for Parry Sound and you can see the drop/rise on a day that the wind shifts.  That link takes you to an hour by hour for the past 24 hours.

I have attached and interesting graph.  It is the Parry Sound waterlevels for August 1 to Oct 13th.  The vertical bars in the line graph are the variation in levels over that day.  The scale is "meters over chart datum".  So you can see that the water levels are staying up for now.  If you look at the big changes in a day, it is on the days that the wind shifts a lot somewhere on the system.  IF you look at yesterday to today, you see a huge swing as the wind shifted back to NNW and filled the bay again.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 11:19:33 am by Canuck »

Offline nauti-too

• Fishing...its a way of life...
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 05:25:42 pm »
This time of year is when it is generally at its lowest point. Can drop pretty quick. But as mentioned, the east winds have a lot to do with the extreme drop the last couple days.
Here is Collingwood levels for this month...http://www.waterlevels.gc.ca/eng/Station/Month?type=1&sid=11500&tz=EST&pres=0&date=2020%2F10%2F31
If you go back a month or two, you can see it has dropped about 8" from peak earlier this summer. Not enough though. Next year might even be higher....

Offline rybka2019

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 01:09:40 am »
Thanks to all for the helpful info.  I have to give a particular thanks to those of you who are frequent posters and generous enough to share your wisdom and fishing stories which have provided a great escape from the pandemic.  Season is winding down (I don’t ice fish) but will look forward to your posts between now and next spring. Tight lines!

Offline paolotca

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 02:43:53 pm »
I'm up in the Kilbear park/outer islands area. Water levels are down 2 to 3 feet. 

Offline Krawler

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 07:50:31 am »
Southern Gbay near Christian Island, levels are down 20" give or take.  Peak will be in June, we shall see what happens. I enjoyed the high water while it lasted, hopefully the high water maintains itself for years to come.