Author Topic: Salmon  (Read 7674 times)

Offline SuperH

Re: Salmon
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2022, 07:17:38 pm »
So folks, have not heard anything recently about action in the "hole" by Penetangushine.  What is happenng?  This forum used to have lots of info on action but there, but nothing of late.  Does that mean nothing is happening, or have you all moved on to another site? 

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Hopeful Joe

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2022, 09:52:47 am »
Hi guys,

Well done in putting one in the boat! So far, no joy here, but still hopeful. Had to buy a 40" drift bag to finally get between 2.5 to 3.5 kph (speed was an issue) and was throwing a LK Monkey Puke Orange on one line and a Sardine on a Bait head (looks like a sardine type head) down abt 80 to 100 ft down. Flashers on  both lines with bait/lure abt 6 - 8 feet back from the bait/lure.

Marked a few (not many) two Saturdays ago, but again, no hits in the Penatang Hole area. I remember marking way more fish in Georgian Bay years ago.... are we getting fished out?

Will try again soon.

Canuck, could you advise where Anchovy heads may be purcased/found? Nothing at Cabela's or Cdn Tire, last time I checked. Any feedback is always appreciated. Good fishin' to all !

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2022, 02:30:55 pm »
Hi guys,

Well done in putting one in the boat! So far, no joy here, but still hopeful. Had to buy a 40" drift bag to finally get between 2.5 to 3.5 kph (speed was an issue) and was throwing a LK Monkey Puke Orange on one line and a Sardine on a Bait head (looks like a sardine type head) down abt 80 to 100 ft down. Flashers on  both lines with bait/lure abt 6 - 8 feet back from the bait/lure.

Marked a few (not many) two Saturdays ago, but again, no hits in the Penatang Hole area. I remember marking way more fish in Georgian Bay years ago.... are we getting fished out?

Will try again soon.

Canuck, could you advise where Anchovy heads may be purcased/found? Nothing at Cabela's or Cdn Tire, last time I checked. Any feedback is always appreciated. Good fishin' to all !
  I actually bought an anchovies head at Canadian Tire in Oakville yesterday. Only one they had.  I haven't bought any in years but would get them at Shortwave Marine in Port Credit.  Lots of salmon gear there. 

I have been out the last few weekends and haven't been skunked.  But only getting one fish in the boat each morning.  Got a 20lb hen on Saturday and a 9lb hen on Sunday.  Also had two solid knock offs on Sunday and one screamer that cut me off.  Felt big on the first run before it broke off.  Must have taken the sardine treble deep.

Sticking with my program of flasher/anchovie head with a sardine.  The sardines have a nice mirror sheen and seem to stay on the hook unless a fish nails them.

Offline Krawler

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2022, 08:44:54 am »
Contact Korey Orson on FB he is the owner of Krome Seeker Tackle, he is willing to ship.  He sells Anchovy heads with matching flashers.  His flashers are the perfect size for Gbay, IMO.  Happi Hookah in Cwood stocks his gear too.

Offline Hopeful Joe

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2022, 02:05:45 pm »
Thanks for the feedback Canuck and Krawler! I will look into what Happy Hookah is carrying and what he suggests for colours. I'm curently trying either a 8.25 inch and/or an 11 inch Luhr-Jensen, Cyclone flashers (8.25 " is clear/blueish colour named UV Bright, the 11" is Chartreuse w/ black/green dots named Everglo) ahead of 6 - 8 ft length of 25lb green hued fluorocarbon leader, to which I'm attaching a glow anchovy head with a 4-6 inch sardine or N.King spoons. Gonna give it another burst this Sat, weather and family permitting, any feedback is always welcomed. Good fishin' guys! Thank you!

Offline Krawler

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2022, 03:06:53 pm »
Sounds like your all set up.  At this time of year its more about pissing the salmon off and enticing a bite rather than focusing on there feeding habits.  You can also try running a fly with an 8' paddle with a 18-22" lead or try pulling a plug.
Vary your speeds with your meat rigs 2.2-2.4 or sometimes they want them faster. 

Switch up your baits often and vary your speeds and change depths regularly.   They are still there, buddy got a few the other day. 

Offline Hopeful Joe

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2023, 05:27:40 pm »
Alright,alright alright !...Hello Fellas

New season, still Hopeful !! lol.

And still learning, thanks to you guys.

Had the mechanic see what he could do to slow our girl down and he adjusted the idle. I was out yesterday afternoon for a trial run over the hole in Penetanguishene bay, didn't mark any fish, but happy to report I saw 1.9 km/hr, which should make a huge difference.

Connected with Capt Marc Kulak for some nice Flashers and a Salmon Clinic on Lake On in July. He's already getting Kings and Coho on the Big Water.  I'm not promoting him here for compensation, but if someone can benefit, its the least I can do, here's his link: https://www.kingslandingsportfishing.com/
Any seen or caught in our area? Good fishing to all. And thanks again for all the advice!

Offline BillM

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2023, 12:08:59 pm »
Most guys here are talking mph when trolling.  1.9km/h is way too slow even when the water is ice cold.   

Offline Hopeful Joe

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2023, 11:43:46 am »
So trolling speed should be between 2.2 and 3 mph for spoons, flies and meat rigs? Thank you Jim

Offline Krawler

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2023, 12:44:55 pm »
Some spoons are considered flutter spoons, they are lighter in weight.  Troll them slow 1.8-2.3
Spoons like Moonshine are heavier, troll them faster 2.7- 3.2mphh
Flashers and meat 1.8-2.6
Flasher/Fly 2.2-2.8
This is what works for me

Offline Hopeful Joe

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2023, 09:17:32 am »
Hello Krawler!

Thanks for the detailed info bud!
Waiting for this rain to get past us...itchin' to get out there.

Good fishin' ! Thanks again!

Offline Hopeful Joe

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2023, 11:50:50 am »
Hello guys,
Got out yesterday rnd 2pm and cruised arnd until 7 ish...unfortunately didn't mark any in and arnd "the hole" just outside of Penetanguishene Bay. Has anyone had any luck in that area of late?

Last Sunday, got out on Lake Ontario with Marc of Kings Landing Sport Fishing (Bluffer's Park Marina) and we slayed quite a few! A coupe Kings and a couple Rainbow. Fantastic day which I'm starting to think might not be reproduceable in the Penetang area. Thinking of applying for a slip on Lake Ontario next season.
What do you guys think? Is our Penetang/georgian Bay area fished out? I hear the Ministry loaded 1.1 Million Salmonoid Fry into the GTA area fishery this year. Anyone know if there's any being added to the Georgian area?
Looking for better fishing grounds. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Good fishing to all.