Author Topic: Flat lining in Nottawa Bay  (Read 3044 times)

Offline Boston Whaler

Flat lining in Nottawa Bay
« on: May 04, 2016, 07:23:29 pm »
Hi Folk,

Anybody else flat lining on Nottawa Bay this week ( May 1 - 7 )

We trolled 3 straight days this week without a hit. Trolling east and west of Nottawa river 12 - 30 feet of water. Using jointed rapala. We do this every year at this time but have never gone so long without a hit. Water temps are still in the mid 40's -- Thoughts? Still too early? Can't be too late? Have not dropped the riggers down deep yet but will try in the next two days just because. Salmon should be in cruising shallow right ?   

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Krawler

Re: Flat lining in Nottawa Bay
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 01:59:50 pm »
I call it the Opposite Approach, when things are not working with traditional areas or methods then do the opposite.  The simplest for you would be to try deeper water, don't troll to get out there rather run to the depths if winds and weather allow you to.  run to 100', 150' and even 200'
I did this a few years ago when the shallows weren't producing and caught good fish out deep at this time of year. 

The fish are there, you just have to locate them.  hard for those bows to pass up baits no matter what time of day and found salmon most active in the mornings.

good luck

Offline Meegs

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 07:58:28 am »
Dont  feel bad about not moving a rod..  weve been out 6 times off the beach this year and havent moved a rod either.. last time out we never marked anything either and i tried everywhere from 5 fow to 150...  been a very very disappointing spring off the beach so far

Offline nauti-too

• Fishing...its a way of life...
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 08:57:16 am »
Hmmm...this isn't boding well for my weekend plans.  ??? Finally going to get out for a troll tomorrow and was planning on heading down that way. Its been a couple of years since I fished the Beach area for early season bows/salmon and was looking forward to it. Buddy used to run a small weekend derby this time of year and the fishing was always quite productive with mixed catches of rainbow, salmon and white fish.
Might have to go to plan 'B'.... ::)

Cheers..Jake

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 05:48:31 pm »
At the marina putting a fresh coat of bottom paint on this weekend.  :(

Splash next Friday and out on Saturday. Will have the fishhawk running and will post some temp info. I expect it will be cold all over the depth range.