Author Topic: Kayak Rigging for Fishing  (Read 6194 times)

Offline Grandpa Jim

Kayak Rigging for Fishing
« on: December 07, 2012, 07:17:09 am »
I will be putting rodholders and a graph on my kayak over the winter. Any tips from those who have been there and done that would be appreciated and might be useful to others here as well.

Thanks,

Grandpa Jim
"... better to burn out, than to fade away ..." Neil Young

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline The Kayaker

Re: Kayak Rigging for Fishing
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 12:44:41 pm »
I had previously posted pics of my kayak on another thread...
https://www.georgianbaymessageboard.com/index.php?topic=175.15

I initially started off with a rod holder in the back but later moved it forward to ease the neck strain. It was difficult to get the rod out of the holder also once the fish was pulling on the rod. I sometimes place the net to one side out of the back rod holder.

I then installed a white 3 pole rod holder behind me in the center. It is mounted on half of a cutting board. You will find find that cutting boards are very easy to work with and retain their integrity even after a few years of use. The rod holder serves two purposes - it holds my two extra rods and and at the same time it doubles as a back rest...

Everything I added to kayak, I am able to take off within a few seconds - even the back rest (if needed).

My transducer is mounted using copper pipe and pops out of its holder if it rubs on bottom.

Here is the thread that includes the pictures of my batterybox for the ffinder...
https://www.georgianbaymessageboard.com/index.php?topic=203.0

I found the best way to keep the fish fresh during a big day on the water was to use a homemade stringer out speaker wire. It doesn't make any noise when it rubs the boat or when the fish thrash around. I have been using the same one for over 5 years, and the teeth marks don't even show.

Finally, to make a quick check of walleye, I taped my paddle with the slot size. It is not very accurate when the fish are very close to the lines. However, last summer, I started using a measuring pipe to verify the length of the walleye I hooked into - much better and much more accurate.

Jon
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 01:10:10 pm by The Kayaker »

Offline Grandpa Jim

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 08:47:03 pm »
What a great response!! The info you've offered up is bound to save me some second guessing. The pic of your transducer holder eliminates one of my concerns. I had considered getting a puck transducer for shooting through the hull but I think I'll just steal your idea. I have a feeling I'll be a bit embarrassed to show pics of mine when finished in comparison to what you've shown. The only concept I'm currently committed fully to is that there will be absolutely nothing done to my Pungo that isn't entirely flush mounted.
Thanks again for the info.

Offline The Kayaker

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 03:07:05 am »
Jim, the danger with flush mounting vs surface mounting is that the former reduces your real estate inside the kayak...
Whereas the later, simply leaves a minor protrusion once everything is removed. Iuse the sidesand rear to stuff a lunch or shirt/jacket when the temps are  cool and having that open space allows me the room and the creedom to use it as i please.

I will post a pic of the yak stripped down to show you how I transport it. The only thing that remains really protruding is the 'back rest'.

Offline Grandpa Jim

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 05:32:32 pm »
Very valid point about the potential for some intrusion into cargo areas of a kayak. Mine has a bulkhead just behind the seat with a large hatch for access. My two aft flush rod holders will be installed so the tube portion is angled right next to the bulkhead so they don't interfere with any packs or gear that gets stored back there. (Stored rods will point slightly aft and outboard). My Scotty flush mount will be centred directly in front of the KOK-pit (hopefully not censorable) which is an area where I'd store nothing other than my titanium knees anyway.
My son gave his wife a kayak for her birthday so I'm anticipating a "few" instances this summer when my kayaks and canoe might be borrowed. I just prefer to leave a perfectly smooth surface to hopefully eliminate the grandsons catching lines or body parts on anything jutting above the smooth hull.

Offline dwc67

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 08:08:41 pm »
 i used  duct seal to mount the transducer and shoot through the hull with a skimmer transducers, google search duct seal transducer mount. one thing i did different was i used silicone dielectric grease as my shoot through media instead of goop. dielectric grease you can get at any auto parts store, it's thick so it stays in place and does not get air bubbles when you push the transducer into it.

Offline Grandpa Jim

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 08:14:24 pm »
That is great information. My Lowrance skimmer type transducer is less flat and more rounded than the Hummingbird one seen in the link but should work. Would definitely make things a lot simpler and neater. Thank you for the input.