Author Topic: Smallmouth of a lifetime!  (Read 4383 times)

Offline outfishin

Smallmouth of a lifetime!
« on: July 15, 2011, 08:00:27 am »
Just thought I'd share a picture of a 9lb(according to Mustad spring scale), 23" Smallmouth my brother caught on Balsam Lake yesterday. Ontario record is 9.84lbs I believe and this thing was the biggest Bass I have ever seen. 20+min battle!

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

bayboy

Re: Smallmouth of a lifetime!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 10:09:18 am »
Nice fish outfishin. To be perfectly honest it looks more like 5 pounds. At 23 inches its certainly a long fish but 23 inches with little girth is more likely to be around 5 to 6. Those old spring scales can play tricks on you.

Offline outfishin

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 11:11:49 am »
I was wondering how long it would take before someone was going to question weight. Lol. Yes spring scales might not be completely accurate, that's why I mention the scale style. However, I was in the boat and picked up that fish so I wil respectfully disagree, it was well over 5lbs. Like I said, weighed in at 9lbs on Mustad spring scale. It didn't have a huge belley (would have been a giant if it did), but it was so thick! Pictures do no justice, my brother is a big boy and you can see the size compared to his chest. Anyways, there will always be sceptics. Wish I had measured girth etc, but wanted to limit out of water time...weight, length and back she goes to swim another day.           Tight lines!

Offline Fuzzy Old Worm

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 10:08:46 am »
Hey Outfishin...your Bro certainly caught a nice Smallie. It is a beauty. As on any Board, it is hard to post then feel like you are being judged or critisized. I don't think Bayboy was trying to bring you down just help with weight based on size and proportion. I fish GB, Simcoe all the time and sometimes get out to Balsam, all bodies hold some impressive fish. I picked up a digital Berkley scale a few years ago and it is humbelling to see what actual weights of fish are (for me it was), guesstimating weight and actual weight can be a surprise. I would put it over 6 lbs, but it doesn't matter my guess, what counts is: it is a really nice fish, gave your brother a great fight and you have a nice picture to remember you were there to share his experience with him. Thanks for sharing the picture and post...great to hear it is still out there for someone else to enjoy in the future.

Tight Lines,
Kevin 

Offline TroutSlayer

• Year Round Fishing Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 07:55:15 am »
 :o   Nice catch pal!   ;D
Cheers,
TroutSlayer

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
    • Time on the Water Canada
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 05:59:34 am »
Another Balsam Smallie caught on a popper.

Offline Fuzzy Old Worm

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 10:55:08 am »
Nice fish John. love the colors when they are a true Bronze back. It is still my favorite thing to do...top water fishing. Either them hitting it so hard they come a foot out of the water or just a large boil where your lure was....nothing gets the blood pumping more. Great looking fish.

Tight Lines,

Kevin