Author Topic: Victoria Harbour  (Read 3733 times)

Offline 300

Victoria Harbour
« on: August 02, 2017, 08:46:31 pm »
We'll. took my grandkids out again today,  Lauched at the Harbour,  where did all the sunfish, rock bass, crappie  go,  hard time for them to catch much,  worm bobber thing,  when I was a kid there many moons ago you didn't have enough worms to keep up ?

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline myot

Re: Victoria Harbour
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 09:21:02 am »
There hasn't been any Rock bass, sunfish or any other panfish for about 15 years now or so it seems
My parents live in Cogneshene and aside from gamefish there's very few panfish around anymore, the shallows are completely void of fish other than the odd minnow

Dan

Offline 300

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 11:59:23 am »
Wow. Were they go

Offline Wasagabeach

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 10:30:04 pm »
Maybe it's because of the gobies? They warned us along time ago something like this may happen.  Hopefully those panfish just moved out because a big Muskie was lurking around.

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 02:57:06 pm »
Maybe it's because of the gobies? They warned us along time ago something like this may happen.  Hopefully those panfish just moved out because a big Muskie was lurking around.

Gobies eat the eggs of other fish and hover around nests and dart in and out eating the eggs.  Larger bass can protect the nest and probably eat the gobies that get close.  Perch and sunfish don't have that luxury.  That is why invasive species are such a problem. 

Offline EsoxWanderer

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 07:59:53 pm »

Gobies eat the eggs of other fish and hover around nests and dart in and out eating the eggs.  Larger bass can protect the nest and probably eat the gobies that get close.  Perch and sunfish don't have that luxury.  That is why invasive species are such a problem.

Yikes, I hope thats not a problem for the pike and muskie spawns  :o

Offline Walleye Willie

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 08:40:09 pm »
Hi,
I've been on this board a couple of times, I do however read all the threads, its all good info lol.
I'm hoping to go to Paradise point tomorrow.
anyone out at the flat rock getting any eyes?
thanks for any info I can get.  :clap: