Author Topic: Salmon and Steelhead out of Parrysound?  (Read 2223 times)

Offline Samhisey

Salmon and Steelhead out of Parrysound?
« on: May 16, 2021, 09:48:09 am »
Hey all! I have been fishing a lot on Lake Ontario over the years and pulling tons of salmon. But I just moved to Huntsville and the closest launch in a great lake is now Parrysound. I have the salmon itch and all the gear so I don’t wanna give it up! I hear the G-bay fish are better eating too so thats a plus haha.

On Lake Ontario I focus on structure and temp. This makes Lake O kinda easy cause there is little structure. I noticed out from Parrysound towards tue big bay there is endless structure. Can anyone give me some tips on where to get started? And what to run?

On lake O I run a mix of dipsy divers and riggers mostly. And I pick my temp based on wht I would like to target with my fish hawk. We run meat rigs behind spin doctors, flasher fly combos and spoons mostly. But with the clearer water I was wondering if you do different on G-bay. On Lake O they are eating Alewifes mostly I am not sure what they are eating on G-bay. Thanks guys!

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Krawler

Re: Salmon and Steelhead out of Parrysound?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 06:59:46 am »
I fish Lake Ontario and GBay. 

I have dfifferent rods, reels, tackle for both bodies of water.  Just personal preference for myself only because i fish both bodies of water so much.  But by no means do you need new gear for gbay.  maybe some lighter line and more spoons or smaller body baits

Keep things simple on Gbay.  Riggers and flatline, leadcore, is all you need really and even then riggers will do most of the work.

I like structure but i also like Temp but not Lake Ontario temp, i look for warm water when fishing salmon, high 50's for me.  I never look for temps in the 40's like on Lake O
We have more smelt than Alewives

I dont fish up your way much and i wont post locations but there are some good spots near you for salmon.  Pm me and I can help you out a bit more.  Flutter spoons are popular on the bay as are moonshine and nk. 

Hope this sheds a bit of light for you

Kris

Offline paolotca

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 11:13:06 am »
I have a cottage just southwest of Kilbear Park.  I fish the Sound and around.  In terms of techniques/gear, I have kept it simple and found success for Lakers.  I fish temp as Krawler noted, I use spoons (success with NK, Dreamweavers and Michigan stingers), colour wise you can use any colour you want as long as it is green :).  I consistently find success with green up to 110' down and I have tried to select colour based on depth and clarity but green seems to always work (Easter Egg NK and Dreamweaver has been my most successful spoon).  I must say that orange and red above 25' is great as well.  I downrig and I find that I don't need any flashers or dodgers or anything like that here. I have not tried cut bait.

With all that being said, catching Lakers is no problem, rainbow trout around Depot Harbour with spoons and body baits (green and blue) also no problem but I have never caught a salmon in the 5 years I have been fishing in the area. Maybe technique maybe wrong area, IDK but if anyone has advice for salmon up in that area I would appreciate a few hints/pointers.

Offline paolotca

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 11:23:40 am »
A few more things, be careful you understand the fishing regulations in this area.  There are a lot of exceptions in the Sound and Management Zone 14 in general.  One line only per person, and there are a lot of areas you cant fish, for example you cant fish Lakers south of a line drawn from Cadotte Point on Parry Island to the eastern most point of Kilbear Park (Kilbear Channel).  You will see lots of people fishing the structure off the east side of Kilbear Park and there is lots of success but it's off limit and if the CO is watching you will get nabbed.