Author Topic: Trolling Report  (Read 12195 times)

Offline Krawler

Trolling Report
« on: June 12, 2021, 10:11:57 am »
Made it out this week for a few short trips.  Bay was flat, temp warm, no wife or kid, why not?!?!

First outing Wednesday pm managed 3/5, 2 smaller and one about 10lbs.  Found areas with warm surface temps and good bait on bottom, figured fish would be scattered with the lack of winds so i covered ground instead of staying put. Long leads in the upper water column with standard size moonshine spoons took fish.

Thursday am slept in but went for a quick troll.  Immediately found fish, they were actively feeding on bait and lots of streaks on the finder.  Never seen such a concrentration of salmon in one area this early in the season, shortened my leads,  Bites were fast, ripping line and gone.  Went 2/6. Meegs and moonshine spoons scattered throughout the column, constantly changed depths to cover the column and entice a strike. 40-70 over 70-90, surface temp 68.  Other areas was 58 that i passed through.  the warm water made me stop and drop lines.   

Im hearing good reports from around the Bay, could be a banner season.  Good luck if you make it out. 

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline grampa

Re: Trolling Report
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 06:46:44 pm »
good job Kris someone had to start this thread figured it would be you. the few i have found also came from warmer water and long leads with small spoons.heading north this week for some walleye action then hope to get back to trolling the bay.

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 06:03:47 pm »
Good to hear. I am off the Canada day week and hope to be out a lot. My boat is still on the hard at Hindson. Launching next week.

Offline jaywinfield91

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 12:20:43 pm »
No one else out trolling ?
Went out Sunday July 11 out from Collingwood lines in the water by 5 a.m got a double header at 5:20. One laker around ,2 pounds on a flasher fly combo and then a 13 pound king caught on a green and white nk spoon rigger down at 55 in 85 fow.
Tight lines everyone and let's get these reports going.

Offline Chopper

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 04:34:40 pm »
Out off Collingwood on Monday, nailed a 5 pound Rainbow on the cheater spoon, purple and green.  Fishing in 90 feet so I am assuming the spoon was around 45 feet down.  Tuesday hooked into a Salmon in 70 FOW.  Lines were at 60, 40 with cheaters on each.  Hit the deep lure at 60.  Marked all the bait at 60 feet.  Zero marks of anything out at 90.  Decided to stay shallower as a result. 

Offline Daren R

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 11:16:38 am »
Hi new to this message board and new to downrigging. I was out this morning near Christian Island with  no luck. I was in a hundred  ft and riggers were down 40ft and 60ft. Any tips were to fish around the area? My kids are getting frustrated with me  lol.

Offline Krawler

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 08:04:40 am »
Run and gun. If you don’t mark any fish , try another spot after 30 min. Never leave your riggers at the same depth longer then say 15 min, change by 10ft.
Run 2.4-2.8 and grace speed. Change baits often, can’t go wrong with blues and greens.

Offline beaudointl

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2021, 07:15:45 pm »
Out at Meaford today.  Marked a few fish at 80ft in 100 - 105 FOW.  Nobody I talked to had any luck.

Offline Canuck

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 10:37:37 am »
I haven't posted in a while and this summer has been pretty lousy for me in terms of getting on the water.  Its hard to catch them from 180km away.

I was out a few times and marked some fish in the hole, but have only had one salmon on and didn't get it in.  Felt like a 10lber or so.  I have some time on the water coming up and will post a bit more.  I made up some meat strips and will break out that program again.  Its been a few years since I ran meat on G-Bay.  I tried it last Saturday evening and appeared to churn up a few streaks on the graph but no hits. 

I made the strips from 6 inch frozen sardines I bought at Terra (Asian grocery in Mississauga).  I fileted them into strips and heavily salted them with coarse salt and a bit of borax powder for a few days, then drained off the liquid and froze them in ziplock bags.  The skin stayed nice and shiny and the meat firmed up well. I only tried one strip so far and it held up nicely for about 2hrs of washing, so looks good.  When I raised it up to check for weed and to see if it held together, it dripped an oil sheen even after an hour or so.  So if scent is an attractant, they will work well.

Offline Canuck

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2021, 04:52:20 pm »
Was out last Saturday AM from about 6:30 in the Hole.  Didn't mark much but found some bait in a few spots with a few marks above.  No takers.  Gave up and headed over to Methodist to get a couple of lakers for dinner.   Definitely not spending enough time of the water this year.

Offline buck

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2021, 05:36:17 pm »
Have spent most of my time in the hole…..marking very few fish…and less bait…not much action….not even knock offs….and i have been taking Krawlers’ advice..got one nice one a week or so ago on a moonshine……near Gin Rocks….and a 10lb male, who was darkening….in 90 feet of water in the same place on a Jplug/Lyman green this morning…..had marked a line of bait near the bottom ….neither fish had any bait in their stomachs?

Nobody has been posting…either everyone now uses a different site….or there are not many fish being taken?….also not many boats out and i have not seen any fish taken?

Hope springs eternal…out again tomorrow

Buck

Offline Canuck

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2021, 09:24:23 am »
The few times I have been out by Methodist and in the hole there haven't been too many boats out.  Saturday in he hole there was maybe 8 boats and only one over by Methodist.   Over by Methodist and Giant's tomb green can, the water was really warm even down deep.  We found a couple cooler pockets but it was close to 60 degrees even down 100ft.  I hope to get some vacation time late august and spent some more time on the water.  BTW gas at our marina is $1.75/litre this year.  Not good.  The boat takes over 800 litres to fill.  I top it up each time I get back to take the sting out of it.  I think I need a smaller boat.

Offline Krawler

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2021, 03:41:14 pm »
I havnt been posting much bc not getting out much, new baby means less time on the water.

Was out on Sunday evening for a few hours, screen was blank for the most part, good temps.  I tried shallower thinking a few fish might be staging as I have heard some rivers have had solid runs lately, not there, ended up going deeper.  I think the lack of wind the past week or so has really caused the fish to be sporadic, winds and currents are not pushing the fish around.

I got one 17Lb salmon on a Moonshine Carbon 14 at the witching hour, great fight, also got a shaker.  Fish were in temp but over deeper water 70/110 but marked a few over 130 before sunset. 

The few times I have been out, the fish I'm catching are quality fish! 

Hey Buck if you fish the Hole, go a day after a West or NW wind, that really drives them in there. 

Offline JL

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2021, 06:15:13 pm »
Fishes the hole Saturday. One jack that was full of milt but only about 5 lbs. water is the warmest this year that I’ve ever seen.

Offline Canuck

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2021, 03:42:06 pm »
Finally got some salmon stink in the cooler this AM.  I took a few from the cottage next door out.  Lots of boats out.  Picked up a nice male just a bit shy of 17lbs.  Kind of skinny though.  Got it on a small sized flasher and my sardine strips.  Was only fishing from about 7:45 to 10:00 or so.  Hopefully I can get on the water a bit more this week.