Author Topic: Trolling report  (Read 34805 times)

Offline andrew9638

Re: Trolling report
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2020, 04:49:30 pm »
Since the salmon seem to be eating smelt I want to try using smelt behind a flasher. Does anybody know which grocery stores sell the frozen smelt right now? I may try brining them to make them tougher and last longer. Anybody ever try smelt?

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline MarkD

« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2020, 05:48:23 pm »
Thanks, Tom!
I know, I'm probably asking very basic questions, but I'm still new to dowrigging and keep forgetting some stuff (far from young now)...

Offline Krawler

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2020, 08:18:25 pm »
Since the salmon seem to be eating smelt I want to try using smelt behind a flasher. Does anybody know which grocery stores sell the frozen smelt right now? I may try brining them to make them tougher and last longer. Anybody ever try smelt?

Try running anchovies. I’ve had great success with them on the bay.
They look relatively identical to smelt. A little bigger but the salmon don’t care.

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2020, 09:25:15 am »

I have tried store bought smelt but they fall apart.  I think they are too tender.  You can buy frozen anchovies and herring in the GTA but I am not sure about around here.  I have cut my own herring strip by buying frozen pacific herring from an asian food store in Mississauga.  I was going to see if the asian grocery store in Barrie near Crappy Tire sells them.  I tried mackerel and it was too mushy but it looks pretty!.  Herring or anchovy is what you need.

Offline buck

« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2020, 05:26:50 pm »
I was in the “hole” for 3 hours this am...Friday....did not mark a thing....no bait notta...
Had one knockoff

......Tuesday ...same deal...lost one ...user error....Embarrassing

Temps good at 110 to 120 feet of cable....but fished higher Too....slower and faster....still notta

There were 6 more boats...anybody even see anything?

Buck

Offline Myles

« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2020, 06:17:32 am »
Fished yesterday late afternoon and early evening. Went 4 for 5. 3 salmon and a splake. Didn't even know there was any splake out there so it was definitly a surprise. Might sneak out for a few hours later today

Offline Myles

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2020, 06:20:24 am »
Tried to upload a pic of the splake but says file too large. Anyone know how i can fix that so i can post it?

Offline Myles

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2020, 07:31:31 am »
Pic

Offline Meegs

« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2020, 09:28:21 am »
That sir is no splake.   That’s a speck all day long and then some.   Look at the tail.   I’ve heard of them up to 4 lbs in these waters but never got one myself

Offline Myles

« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2020, 10:04:09 am »
Not as much color as specks I've caught before so i assumed that size would be splake. I knew for sure it wasn't a lake trout

Offline Krawler

« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2020, 12:22:22 pm »
Nice fish Myles
I’ve heard of another like that caught in the area this year.
Did it fight like a laker or did it seem to have more energy?

Offline Myles

« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2020, 01:05:40 pm »
My girlfriend brought it in we thought it was a laker till it got close to the boat and started doing some spins like a rainbow. It was mixed right in with the salmon we got so it was a surprise for sure

Offline andrew9638

« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2020, 11:14:10 am »
Wow Myles, that’s a nice catch something pretty rare indeed. Always fun fishing waters where you can get surprises like that.
I’m wanting to get out but these west winds are strong and not forecasted to let up until I’ve left for camping up north. It’s probably do able to launch out of penetang but I like being comfortable when I fish.

Offline John Kendell

« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2020, 09:41:36 am »
As Meegs said, that is a Brook Trout, aka Coaster Brook Trout.  The first I have seen from the bay but somewhat expected.  They tend to silver up like that in the lake and only take on the traditional colours during spawning.  Very cool catch.  I've even seen a couple running up the Credit R. through the fish ladder over the last few decades. 

Offline awbringl

« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2020, 04:44:19 pm »

Sorry to be negative - I've tried it.  Too mushy.  You would have to pull everything up and replace the smelt every 10 mins.  I've also tried whole sardines...a bit better. But similar results.