Author Topic: Trolling report  (Read 34798 times)

Offline Grandpa Jim

Re: Trolling report
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2020, 08:53:02 am »
Chris B's response to Mark D's post shows more class than many would have maintained. Jumping to conclusions and unfounded implications seems to me to be somewhat out of place on this site. Offering an apology after the fact wouldn't be necessary with a little forethought in the first place.
Congrats to Chris on his successful outing.
"... better to burn out, than to fade away ..." Neil Young

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline MarkD

« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2020, 11:11:16 am »
Jim, I do agree that my post was somehow awkward.
However Chris posted twice quite rarely seen results from which it appeared that he was alone in the boat. Considering that his first two posts were about buying the lures from him which brought him that luck, it was very easy to be confused.
I certainly should find a better way for clarifying the things. I did not have an intention to disturb this peaceful forum. I learned a lot here, including many tips and suggestions from you, Jim. 

Offline buck

« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2020, 01:58:03 pm »
Finally success in the “hole”

Monday and today 2 hens...1x16#  and 1x 20#

120 cable out 3mph....one deep On a Jplug ....the other on a Moonshine slider

Both had lamprey marks....one eel was in the boat....briefly

Are they that common?

Offline GG

« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2020, 02:31:17 pm »
12 lb. chinook from the hole with 95’ of wire out on a white Lyman

Offline MarkD

« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2020, 02:32:03 pm »
Both had lamprey marks....one eel was in the boat....briefly
Are they that common?

I don't have any luck in GB for the last two months with the salmons, however almost all pikes and big basses I got had some sort of marks on the skin. Not sure if it is lamprey or some kind of skin disease.
All pikes from one particular area come with the marks for two-three years in row.

Offline GG

« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2020, 02:59:11 pm »
Seems to vary year to year. I find about 1/3 - 1/2 of the salmon I pull up have lesions from lamprey.

Offline Whaler

« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2020, 02:32:23 pm »
Was out in the hole today and yesterday, slow two days with only one knock off. Lots of boats out in the morning saw a couple of boats net fish. Saturday morning a number of fish were jumping out of the water must have been feeding on the surface.

Offline Krawler

« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2020, 08:57:40 pm »
Collingwood Slam Report ...
prefished all week for the event.  Didn’t want to post and give away any info ;)
Was tough with the winds and changing weather.  Fish were shallower than usual but no numbers but some bigger staging fish being caught in the area also some nice 2 yr olds hanging around the never ending bait!
Never got a box of 5 fish all week mainly because I was running a lot and not staying in one area more than a few hours. 
This years event was based on total length and not weight because of Covid, to avoid a mass gathering at the weigh in.
On Saturday My team had a game plan but a very last minute cancellation from a team member and also The boat owner As a result of getting extremely sick had me scrambling At 5am.  My teammate was nice enough to actually come to the ramp because he couldn’t get in touch with me and give me the unfortunate news. 
With little time left I decided to go Solo! Ended up missing the blast off because I had to go get my boat  and was about 20-30min behind the field not overkill but as everyone says the first 2 hours make or break your chances of winning.  Set up in front of Collingwood and didn’t like what I was seeing On my finder so I decided to make the run across The bay and fish some good late season spots. 
Was that ever the right decision.  First spot I stopped at my rod fired instantly but lost it so I Decided to fish that area hard going a quick 2/4 no big size but fish nonetheless, lost a few screamers, heartbreaking.  Kept switching baits And depths with changing sky conditions and the rods fired consistently.  Got into a lull and decided to put down meat which usually Produces fish when things slow down, rod fired right away and landed a nice 10lber.  Put the meat back down 5 min later rod goes off again and landed an identical 10lber.  I had 5 fish and needed an upgrade!  My 5th fish was a shaker.  Then decided to run to another spot with only 30 min left, Switched baits and speeds constantly with 5 min left before I had to make the 20 mile run back to the weigh in the rod Fires and landed another 10lber, huge upgrade over my shaker!   I was pumped!!!!
One rod and a 5 fish box, went 7/10 in the end.
Made it back to CWood, submitted my fish lengths and turns out I came in 4th out of 50 teams!!  A few inches out of the money.  Pretty happy with the results fishing Solo, one rod, a late start and long run across the Bay. 

John Baldry of the Happi Hookah and GTAA put on an amazing event.  Everyone had a great time, well organized and competing against some of the best anglers on the Bay. 
Looking forward to next years event.  I encourage everyone to come out and participate.  Always a good time!!

Offline dagoat_1

« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2020, 10:19:31 pm »
Great Job and Congrats Krawler!
as usual great report...

Offline Mrbeee

« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2020, 05:40:28 am »
Nice going

Offline Jam1324

« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2020, 07:13:48 pm »
Nice report and good job Krawler! Were you measuring your fish across from the launch on the side of the concrete dock there? Think you commented to us how hard it was to take the photos solo as we passed you if so. We stayed out in front of Collingwood. Had one in the boat and got our first double header right after before the sun came up, it shut down after that and we didn't catch another fish all day go figure!! 28 1/2, 31 1/2 and 30 1/2. Didn't place but cant be sad about a double header and some fish in the boat!

Offline Krawler

« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2020, 07:14:35 am »
Yes that was me. Holding the fish in place and trying to zoom out to snap a pic wasn’t easy. Lol
Good job on the 3 fish.  I heard from most that the bite was slow or dead at first light but most guys were hooking up between 9-10:30.  A shame you couldn’t hook up throughout the day, you would have been in contention for sure.

Offline Jam1324

« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2020, 07:48:27 am »
Yes, 930-1030 is usually when we manage to pick up a couple more lately but not on that day, we threw everything in the boat at em and just couldn't make a connection  ;D Congratulations again if you had your teammates I am sure you would have been in first!

Offline Krawler

« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2020, 08:06:27 am »
Thanks.  I missed a few good ones and my screen was very active all morning!  A second rod would have made the difference. This is my 3rd 4th place finish in 4 years. Every year I say next year I’ll be top 3 and then I come in 4th lol

Offline Grandpa Jim

« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2020, 09:13:59 am »
Kris,
        What you accomplished with the running back and forth and a single rod in the water certainly outdid expectations. Our team managed to take third place with a very thin margin in front of you - and three rods in use. We dropped two very decent salmon off our copper rod due to the erratic drag and slow retrieval ratio on the Convector reel. Wouldn't be a proper derby without a few tales of woe ;D ::).
         Congrats on your accomplishments and continued good luck as the season wears on. I'm sure you'll run across the Talisman in the near future trolling aimlessly off the islands.
"... better to burn out, than to fade away ..." Neil Young