Author Topic: Winter Minnows???  (Read 2866 times)

Offline skidooseadoo

Winter Minnows???
« on: October 17, 2019, 02:01:44 pm »
Id like to build a minnow containment off my floating dock this winter.

Any ideas how I can keep minnows at the end of my dock through the ice?

Though of using a garbage pail, with a pile of 1/4" holes. Build a insulated box on the ice with a light bulb hanging down to keep the top of the hole free from ice.

I prefer to have minnows on hand. Plan on ice fishing a ton this season.

thanx

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline BillM

Re: Winter Minnows???
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 03:21:30 pm »
Probably better to use a bubbler to keep things ice free.

Offline Valley Tackle co

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 04:01:43 pm »
I would build a styrofoam   box with a styrofoam lid that fits right in the top I know I use this in my fish hut to cover the holes and almost never do I have to chip out holes .... just not shure what the ice would do to it might have to be a wood or steel box with a tight fitting lid .... if you have power at your dock deff a bubbler but to much turbulence could kill your minnows. Leme know what you come up with be curious to know

Offline skidooseadoo

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 09:17:20 am »
thanx Guys,

I will build a wooden box, insulated with a tight fitting lid. I will place this on the ice above the submerged large garbage pail. Not sure I will install a bubbler. The garbage pail will be 4ft down and I should be able to keep the surface ice free with a 100w light bulb for heat. Not a LED!!! :)

Offline Tom McCutcheon

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 04:33:01 pm »
You could try drilling larger holes...1/2 to 1 inch. You won't need as many, and you might get better flow of fresh nutrient filled water through them. Wrap the inside (preferable) or outside of the garbage can with a roll of window or patio door screen and seal the bottom and top edges against the side of the can. 

Other than that I think you have a pretty good plan.