Author Topic: Trolling report  (Read 34806 times)

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
Re: Trolling report
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2020, 05:44:02 pm »
I was out this AM around the tomb and Methodist point.  Too many lakers.  I was solo and got two really quick.  Too quick.  Good marks up high so figured salmon.  Nope, lakers up high above 70 ft in 115.  At 54 degrees.   Had to leave. Lots of bait on bottom.  Lakers coughed up smelt all over the boat again.

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Krawler

« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2020, 01:30:34 pm »
2/2 last night
Crazy winds and currents made for a tough fish
Came back out this am and fish were active!  Looked for calmer waters and found fish! But couldn’t stick it to them went 1/10. I’ve seen this happen before, hook, set, scream and gone. One came undone at the boat and manage to finally boat one.  Figured they were going for the body Or side of the lure, sometimes I hear fish will come and knock the bait out and come in for the kill afterwards. Wasn’t the hooks as I changed up baits and same thing was happening. Anyways was fun to see the rods pop!  Everyone says when you come back from Lake O you will be bored but with numbers like this it’s very exciting.
Lake O was tough last week lots of cold water on the North Shore, i prefished all week for the tightlines tournament out of Bluffer’s Park marina. 
I manageD a 27.44 lb salmon good for 8th place in the Silver Salmon Challenge. Also teamed up with Major Impact Angling and took 2nd place in the King of Kings Tightline Tournament.
Great week!  Was awesome to compete against some of the best salmon anglers in the province and perform so well! 
Will be out this week, hopefully get them to stick!

Offline MarkD

« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2020, 06:36:49 pm »
Krawler, please accept my sincere congratulations! Your performance is amazing!
I was also in the GB for a day and then twice on LO.... Couldn't even get a single popup....
Nice to read your reports!

Offline Chris B

« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2020, 08:16:23 am »
Hit the bay on Saturday this weekend, fishing was excellent! Managed to boat 11 fish, despite having close to 20 knock offs. Pulled in a smaller salmon that was hooked by the tail so I suspect that the fish were tail slapping lures. All fish but one came on Grippers. Don't know if many of you have experience with these spoons but you should really check them out!!! The big trick is to move them fast. Lure speeds from 2.7-4.0 mph have been the trick. They can be found on instagram @gripperlures

Offline Krawler

« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2020, 09:31:36 am »
I got a fish on the gripper on Monday. Nice size salmon
Was going 3.5 surface and 3.1 at the ball. Was overcast and was using the black and purple.  Nice to use when covering ground or the currents are playing against you. They are a bit deceiving when you look at them and hold them, plastic, lightweight and small. But they catch fish so what does it matter?!?!

Offline Kingfisher

« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2020, 09:03:57 am »
Hey Krawler, when you refer to the speed are you mph or kph? I got ahold of Chris to get some Grippers, nice guy. Headed out on the Bay tomorrow am, looks like it will be a nice a nice day. hopefully I will have some pics of fish to share.

Offline Krawler

« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2020, 10:38:54 am »
Always mph

4/12 last night
Water temps messed up after the wind. Warm down to 95ft but strangely Most hits were coming out of the warmer water down 75/110-140 Spoon bite predominantly, some fish hitting the meat lately.
Strange hits Again, fish would hit, take line and gone. Ran a bit faster too, made no difference.  Talk to some guys that say it has something to do with the moon phases. Sounds like a good excuse.  Noticing line is frayed often so fish are biting at the head. If anyone can find a way to put a treble at the head of a moonshine I’m all ears lol. 
0/3 this am.  Marked good fish down 100/140 but couldn’t turn them. Threw the kitchen sink at them! Hopefully they are in a better mood this evening.

Offline MarkD

« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2020, 11:04:38 pm »
Spoon bite predominantly, some fish hitting the meat lately.
Kris,
How often do you change your presentation? And how do you determine if it's time to switch from spoons to meat or anything else?
Noticing line is frayed often so fish are biting at the head
I also noticed it on one lure even though I doubt if I got any popup at all.
Is it possible that some smaller fish biting in front of the lures?

Offline Chris B

« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2020, 09:13:49 am »
Hit the bay Saturday afternoon. Came back with 6 fish, 5 salmon and 1 bow. Had well over 20 knock offs, the fish seem to be hitting lures with their tails and bodies as we had 2 foul hooked fish near the tail (they were released). Anyone else experiencing this?

Offline kyfish

« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2020, 12:09:29 pm »
Hit the bay Saturday afternoon. Came back with 6 fish, 5 salmon and 1 bow. Had well over 20 knock offs, the fish seem to be hitting lures with their tails and bodies as we had 2 foul hooked fish near the tail (they were released). Anyone else experiencing this?

My god Chris. Apparently you’ve got it figured out pretty good. Congrats

Offline MarkD

« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2020, 12:14:03 pm »
Zone 14 Regs:
Zone-wide seasons and limits
Aggregate limits for Trout and Salmon (including Splake)
Limits: S-5 and C-2; total daily catch and possession limit for all trout and salmon species combined

Offline Chris B

« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2020, 01:32:11 pm »
Zone 14 Regs:

Thank you for the repost of the local rules, it is a good reminder for all. If this was brought about by my recent posts please note that I always do my best to follow local rules of any fishing management zone. In this instance there were 3 people on board with sport licenses.

Offline awbringl

« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2020, 01:38:21 pm »
Zone 14 Regs:

Yes...per licensed fisherman...

Offline Borff608

« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2020, 12:20:57 pm »
Has anyone had any luck with salmon in the hole yet or are you still fishing further out by the tomb/Christian? I’m off this week and hoping to get out a couple times with my family. Will be launching from Toanche. Thanks!

Offline MarkD

« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2020, 02:32:29 pm »
Yes...per licensed fisherman...
I know the regs...
But in the Cris posts it implied (at least to me though) that he alone managed to get 20 knock offs and  6 or so fish in a day.
I still believe that it is an impressive result for three lines but for a single person... it was hard to believe...
Sorry if my post appeared mean or otherwise nagging.