Author Topic: Best weight of monofilament line  (Read 4660 times)

Offline Sparky05

Best weight of monofilament line
« on: July 11, 2019, 10:55:52 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I’m just getting ready to re-spool my reels with new line. I have always used 20lb line in the past in Georgian Bay for Salmon but wondering if I should go a bit heavier like 25 or 30lb line. What are the pros and cons. What weight of line is best?

Thanks!!

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
Re: Best weight of monofilament line
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 06:13:38 am »
IMO 20lb is plenty.  It is thinner so less blow back while trolling and plenty strong.

Offline Grandpa Jim

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 07:21:15 am »
Line weight might vary with your set-up. If you run spoons or body baits exclusively off downriggers I'd suggest that 15 pound test quality line (Maxima is my favourite) is more than sufficient. If you use flashers  I'd move up to 20 or 25 pound test. If you deploy dipseys, then 30 pound braid (no stretch) would be a good choice. Georgian Bay water is exceptionally clear and a lot of anglers use fluorocarbon leaders attached to their main line with a double uni knot. The more stealth employed in your set up, the more likely you will experience increased hits. Whatever you decide to go with, I'd suggest you not skimp on line quality. A few unnecessary break offs resulting in the loss of the main line lure and possibly a slider lure along with expensive ball-bearing swivels makes the purchase of premium line a bit of a no brainer.
Good luck!!
"... better to burn out, than to fade away ..." Neil Young

Offline Wilbur007

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 10:30:22 am »
Another suggestion would be to pick up a spool of Seaguar AbrazX.  As the name suggests it resists the wear and tear that dragging line "sideways" (down to the release clip), as well as the wear some clips can put on your line.  My setups (rods/reels) are on the lighter side for most chasing salmon (10 lb line), so it's important for me to have a line that's more "durable";  I used to have to strip lengths of mono after the 2nd or 3rd trip (depending on how long each trolling time was).  Obviously I don't pull flashers or use divers with this setup.  It's a spoon and plug application.  An increase in pound test would be obvious with dragging heavier/more resistant setups.

So far, this line has trolled two year (and next year I'll probably simple reverse the line on my spools and push the third year with it).  Also, there's no need to add a leader since this is a fluorocarbon line.  (That being said, ....you may eventually want to add a fluorocarbon leader in clearer water like G. Bay, as the this material -- fluorocarbon -- will get marked up from fish, landing net, boat floor, etc. and lose it's invisibility.

Just another option to consider.....

Offline BillM

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 12:02:14 pm »
20-30lb Triliene Big Game, have run this stuff forever.  No plans on changing.

Offline mauro

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 02:00:08 pm »
20-30lb Triliene Big Game, have run this stuff forever.  No plans on changing.

Totally agree. MUCH cheaper than the others as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sparky05

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 09:15:48 pm »
Thanks Everyone for your suggestions!! They are all great options! I really appreciate it!!
Now to get busy re-spooling my reels.

Offline gogu392

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 03:04:35 pm »
Same here: 20-30lb Triliene Big Game, have run this stuff forever.  No plans on changing.