Author Topic: Launch update  (Read 3456 times)

Offline Krawler

Launch update
« on: June 11, 2020, 11:54:04 am »
Just an FYI

Cedar Point launch is shutdown as they build the new ferry terminal. 

New rules at Jacksons park launch.  No pay machine.  Launch and park is only for residents of Tiny and parking pass must be purchased in advance.  Don't want anyone heading down and getting a hefty ticket.

Kris   

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline JL

Re: Launch update
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 04:06:35 pm »
I was there on Tuesday night and 80% of the cars there had parking tickets. So beware.

Offline MarkD

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 05:46:29 pm »
I read on another forum that Innisville set up the same rule on Simcoe - public launches for locals only... not sure if it was temporarily or permanent.
I know in Carling (North of Parry Sound) it is the same: parking near water access is for residents only.
It seems like very soon all water accesses in Ontario will be for locals only. I'm not sure if it is right way where municipalities are heading to...

Offline Homelands101

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 06:16:56 pm »
So pretty well left to private marina’s for launching

Offline JL

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 08:23:38 pm »
Tiny’s logic is that only so many people will buy permits thus naturally limiting users which is their stated goal.  So I assume it’s a Covid thing.

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 09:24:53 pm »
Tiny’s logic is that only so many people will buy permits thus naturally limiting users which is their stated goal.  So I assume it’s a Covid thing.

It is I am sure.  As the Province opens up the objective is to minimize the ability of the virus to spread rapidly across communities and borders.     

Offline MarkD

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 10:24:53 pm »
I don't think so... It may looks or even justify for now as COVID issue, but it may stay forever. Then locals will pressure municipal government to keep it permanent to enjoy better overall fishing/boating experience.
But how it is complied with overall Canadian tradition, democracy etc... I'm not sure...
I only know that if I would be a local citizen I would ask for hat kind of measures. But as I am a local in Mississauga I feel vulnerable in any other counties where I'd like to fish and hunt.

Offline Krawler

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 08:34:49 am »
I think Covid did have something to do with this decision.  But I know many anglers and boaters from around Tiny get frustrated when they cant launch there or other functioning ramps because the parking lots are full with people from out of town.  Recently the closure of the launch at Tiny Marina and no launch at Cedar Point they want residents to have access and options to facilities that's right in their own backyard. 

Offline MarkD

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 10:17:13 am »
It is very understandable what locals want. But the question is if it is OK in terms of general civil rights that local people have some advantages or privileges over the visitors. For example, people living in cities do not have any privileges over visitors (yes, some exception: using library).
But population is growing rapidly and recreational use of land and water is also increases dramatically. So very soon we can find ourselves in the country where all water access and recreational land would be accessible to locals only.
I don't say this is absolutely wrong. I don't know. I understand the locals but I also understand people as myself.

Offline JL

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 11:08:04 am »
FYI, Collingwood, Wasaga and Owen Sound are all open for business. So there are still places to launch and fish Nottawasaga Bay.

Tiny Marina (formerly AC marina) is just a shame in terms of how they just axed access to long time customers who day launched there. Cedar Point is closed both for construction but also to prevent the spread the spread of Covid to Christian Island.  All the reserve lands including Beckwith and Hope are also closed to non-reserve members.

Offline andrew9638

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 02:10:10 pm »
When did AC marina change ownership? I never got out boating last year so I never heard about that.
I used to day launch there. Is launching shut down permanently?

Offline JL

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 03:37:23 pm »
Last year I think?  I emailed the guy to find out about a seasonal launch pass and was told it was $40 a day and there was no seasonal pass. Later in the summer I heard there was no launching period, only seasonals. I could be wrong but $40 seemed pretty steep anyway.

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2020, 07:27:27 pm »
There is almost no parking there so they don’t really want day trippers.

Offline Krawler

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2020, 07:32:47 pm »
I know the owner. No launching!
Parking is a problem.
He wants to ensure that people who have boats in slips have ample parking.

Offline andrew9638

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2020, 10:08:34 pm »
Yeah, the parking for the trailers there was terrible, I’m surprised the last owner even put up with day boaters. It’s a shame to lose that launch though, now it’s a farther run to the islands.
 I had a hard time with cedar point launch (if you even call it that) with my 16 footer coming in to the trailer with a tailwind. I don’t think I even want to try the much heavier 20’ boat I have now.
So that leaves us only with either Penetang or Wasaga right now?