Author Topic: Downrigging Georgian Bay  (Read 90310 times)

Offline bigturk43

Downrigging Georgian Bay
« on: June 07, 2017, 01:55:40 pm »
Hey Folks,

Just looking to start the annual topic for sharing info, reporting catches , etc etc. Anyone been out lately?   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Krawler

Re: Downrigging Georgian Bay
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 10:14:11 am »
Great idea, was planning on starting a thread like this too. 

Busy spring for me, only made it out 4 times this year on the Bay.  But so far no skunks.  14lb Brown on Easter weekend, late April hit a salmon in 20 fow near the Notty and recently boated a salmon on the west side of Christian and a few lakers on an other trip.  A few friends on the Bay have been doing very well on there weekly outings.  Lots of bait being reported and fish have all come a lot deeper than normal.  Salmon are not all that common this time of year around the islands.  Im sure they're always there, just tough to find and catch.  So far its been a good year for the local guys.   
Ill be out saturday checking out my rainbow spots, then an evening of salmon. 

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 09:17:18 pm »
Lakers were around the tomb last weekend along with some decent bait balls. . Tried around hope and nada. Didn't stay out long though. Water temps were odd.  Cool surface temps at 56 ish. Some areas were close to the same temps down 90.  Then some areas were low 40s down 70. Thermocline wont set up for a while..

Offline nauti-too

• Fishing...its a way of life...
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 08:02:41 am »
We did an afternoon/evening troll around the islands last Saturday and fished three different spots and managed to pick a couple fish from each spot. All were down deep 70'+ on the rigger running my favorite spoons. Ended 6 for 8 I think. Nothing big, all around the 3 - 5lb mark. 1 trout the rest salmon. Stomachs were full with small smelts, so these guys are finding some bait and feeding well right now. We did mark some nice bait balls as well.
Weekend before on my buddy's boat we did pretty much the same afternoon troll and picked up 5 fish doing basically the same thing. Mixed bag of Lake trout and salmon. Water is cold yet and the fish can be at any depth yet but we marked most down in the deeper water.
Looks promising for the season so far. Is usually pretty slow this time of year. These fish should be nice fighting size by mid to late summer.
Will be back out this weekend.  ;D

Cheer...Jake

IMG_20170603_1935427 by jvb_ca, on Flickr

IMG_20170519_1936492 by jvb_ca, on Flickr

IMG_20170522_1804185 by jvb_ca, on Flickr

Attach9787_20170603_174323 by jvb_ca, on Flickr
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 08:07:34 am by nauti-too »

Offline FISHMASTER

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 07:34:24 pm »
I'm new on the site but have been following for awhile.
 Been fishing for quite a few years around the islands and off of AC marina etc.
Only weekends for the last few years but hope to increase days soon. (retirement)
Will be out Saturday. Good luck to all.

Offline Krawler

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 09:00:53 am »
Made it out saturday for an afternoon evening troll.  Headed out to the middle of the Bay looking for debris fields, temp breaks but couldnt find what i was looking for.  Still gave it a shot but no fish.  Long ride back to the inside, trolled cedar point to marks point, lots of bait and good marks but no takers.  Went to Beckwith but didnt like the blank screen and was HOT as hell out there, no wind.  Headed back to Marks Point, slight breeze cooled things off, found the bait and found some fish.  Lakers were hitting on the cheaters down 60, then lost a screamer down 70. New Meegs spoons in UV hit the screamer and new NK's worked for lakers on the cheaters.   Winds picked up so headed home.  Weekends are booked up from now until July but might get out some weekdays.   

Offline bigturk43

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 01:48:00 pm »
Good going Krawler! Hoping to head out this weekend if the winds are ok...but its not looking good at the moment.

Offline Smiath

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 10:41:37 am »
I have been out a few times anywhere from the tomb to Christian island and nothing but trout for me. Nks and dreamweavers have taken all the fish. Marking some fish and some bait but nothing to crazy yet. The weekend isn't looking great but I will hopefully be out again sooner then later.

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 08:06:09 pm »
Went out mid day for a few hours before the storms came through.  Fished near the tomb and the south shore near awenda on the way back. Not much bait marked and few fish marked.  One questionable knock off and no fish.  Water was quite cold (less than 45) off the tomb at any depth below 40ft.  Oh well.  Nice to get out on the water and burned a bit more of last year's fuel, so another good shake down.

Offline Krawler

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 10:12:55 am »
Its that time of year when the long lines come in handy.  Working leadcore, copper or weighted steel might do the trick.  Fish could very well be in the top 40 ft or try running closer to shore in 60fow.  Our bait is almost always on the bottom so run baits deep and/or high.   I wasnt out on the weekend, hoping for a midweek troll. 

Offline Borff608

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 12:08:42 am »
Thinking of trying my luck around the islands tomorrow, is Cedar Point boat launch open this year?

Offline buck

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 06:06:26 am »
out yesterday morning.....4 hours....Ballard's point, East side of Beckwith and Methodist.....could not believe I didn't mark anything.....maybe my finder isn't working?....yeah right....Hope springs eternal....surface water temp still under 60 degrees in many places

Offline Krawler

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 07:23:25 am »
That's very strange that you didn't mark anything. Fish could be at any depth this time of year.  Last week I saw 2 big rainbows hanging out with the spawning bass in the shallows.  When in doubt try fishing shallower with longer leads.

Offline bigturk43

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 07:24:47 pm »
Anyone out lately? I am heading out next week when the opportunity presents itself. Will be on vacation, so looking to fish hard and provide plenty of updates.

Offline nauti-too

• Fishing...its a way of life...
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 09:11:32 pm »
We did a mid day troll around Beckwith and Christain last Saturday and had the rods firing at all depths. No salmon or bows, all lake trout. Marked some nice bait and hooks around the bait, but all we managed were lakers. Spoons on the riggers from 30' down to 80' down over 60' - 110' of water. Surface was still cool around the 60* mark. Lots of action made the day fun even with no silver fish. Will be back out this weekend depending on weather. Enjoy your holidays next week... ;D
Cheers..Jake