Author Topic: GB Brown trout?  (Read 7171 times)

Offline alexanderlben

Re: GB Brown trout?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2020, 05:17:23 am »
It includes releases from the Lake Huron Fishing club which is privately ran out of Kincardine and Port Elgin. There is another site out there but I can't remember the name and I found it harder to navigate.

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Jam1324

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2020, 08:44:16 pm »
We stocked about 20,000 Brown trout between Thornbury and Collingwood last fall. I have only been working at the hatchery for 12 months or so but I am pretty sure we do this once a year. They have to be in there somewhere. Maybe Pike and Birds are eating them but some have to make it!

Jamie

Offline awbringl

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2020, 11:10:27 am »
Ohh, I'm sorry if I didn't express myself correctly and it sounded as piece of information but I was rather guessing and trying to find a reason for absence of browns in GB.
But now I'm even more puzzled... If browns are stocked for years in south of GB why they are so rare caught?
Wasagabeach, are you sure they stock browns in GB? Their website also mentions brook trout. I don't think they stock brook in GB... May be they stock browns somewhere else as well?

touchy touchy... :P  Browns are stocked. Browns are in GB and Huron. Browns are not easy to catch, and if one doesn't catch them one should not assume that there aren't any in the body of water.  As others have posted, I catch Browns only at certain periods of the year, during a relatively short window of time in the early spring and late fall when the water temps are cold.  I have never caught a Brown while downrigging for Lakers or salmon...but I have caught them trolling in certain areas on GB and on the Huron side, especially in the spring when temps are what they prefer.

Offline MarkD

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2020, 02:43:47 pm »
touchy touchy... :P  Browns are stocked. Browns are in GB and Huron. Browns are not easy to catch, and if one doesn't catch them one should not assume that there aren't any in the body of water.  As others have posted, I catch Browns only at certain periods of the year, during a relatively short window of time in the early spring and late fall when the water temps are cold.  I have never caught a Brown while downrigging for Lakers or salmon...but I have caught them trolling in certain areas on GB and on the Huron side, especially in the spring when temps are what they prefer.
OK, thanks!
Now I know that browns are over there but most people just don't know how to fish them... And some knows.... I'm glad for you.

Offline MarkD

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2020, 02:45:36 pm »
By the way I would appreciate if you post a picture of the brown you would get next time.
Thanks!

Offline awbringl

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2020, 05:53:28 pm »
By the way I would appreciate if you post a picture of the brown you would get next time.
Thanks!

Because of the Brown's rare genetic characteristic of having 3 eyes, sometimes you only need to use a bare hook and they'll find it...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 05:58:42 pm by awbringl »

Offline awbringl

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2020, 05:54:08 pm »
Thanks!

Offline Saugeen Drifter

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2020, 10:11:39 pm »
If you want to catch browns you need to run a program for them. Can you fluke them on sliders? Sure you can. Browns are very boat shy. Browns don't frequent where the kings and lakers are; they have different colour and water temp preferences. When you only have 1 rod to run do you fish for the unicorn?
Take a kid fishing
Give a child a fish, the child eats for a day, teach a child to fish, the child eats for a life time and tells a life time of big fish stories
When my time comes I will never say, "I wish I would have worked more", I will say I wish I could have fished more.

Offline MarkD

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2020, 10:56:08 pm »
To be honest, for the last couple of months I've been struggling to catch any salmon, not even thinking about browns...
But it is a nice fish, so it's good to know it is around and to have hope to get it one day...