Author Topic: Trolling Report  (Read 12194 times)

Offline GG

Re: Trolling Report
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2021, 08:36:54 am »
Was at the hole last night for two hours before sunset. Dragging a white Lyman on one rod and and a dodger and squid-bait on the other. Lots of other boats and marked tonnes of fish from 60-100, but no takers. Fun to watch the sun set, though. Back out this morning.

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline GG

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2021, 03:05:22 pm »
14 lber from the hole this morning on a green NK 28.

Offline GG

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2021, 01:27:12 pm »
Two more from the hole his morning.  Both on a white Lyman.

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2021, 11:13:03 pm »
I was out solo in the hole this AM too. I went 1/2.  First one was a tank that I lost.  I couldn’t stop it.  Just peeled line and even with more drag, it was not going to be taken. It reminded me of the 30lber I got in Lake O.  Not saying it was that big, but I’ll bet it was 25.  Anyway, the one I did get was 13lbs.  Both on dodger/fly.  85 over 120.  58 degrees at the ball.

Offline Fozzy47

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2021, 04:45:41 pm »
Hi  Canuck, I'm new to the GB area, but interested in fishing it.
My interest is Bows and salmon. Can you give me a direction as to what port to head toward. I hear they migrate east as the season progresses. My boat currently is at Honey Harbour.
I would appreciate any help offered. Not looking for specific  areas, what Port to head toward.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Offline Canuck

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2021, 01:44:18 pm »
Hi  Canuck, I'm new to the GB area, but interested in fishing it.
My interest is Bows and salmon. Can you give me a direction as to what port to head toward. I hear they migrate east as the season progresses. My boat currently is at Honey Harbour.
I would appreciate any help offered. Not looking for specific  areas, what Port to head toward.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Right now the best salmon fishing is close to Honey Harbour.  There is an area between the North West end of Beausoliel Island and the mainland that we call the Hole.  Its pretty easy to spot on the charts and because of everyone fishing there this time of year.   No bows, but decent salmon staging before the spawn up the Coldwater river. 

I was out this AM and slayed them.  Put 3 in the box, released one, had about 5 knock offs.  All by myself running only one rod.  Earlier in the year they are around the islands (Christian, Hope, Beckwith and Giant’s Tomb) and in main nottawasaga bay.

Offline SuperH

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2021, 08:09:53 am »
Canuck that's some good luck.  I've been fishing "the hole" for a few years, but still consider myself a newbe.  Have had some luck but not like you have indicated.  After lots of hours over July and August, I've landed 6, with the largest 16 lbs.  I'm curious as to what the record for Georgian Bay Salmon is.  Someone showed me a pic of a 30 lb salmon caught this week.  Is that likely?  Just curious.

Offline Canuck

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2021, 08:56:21 am »
Well last Friday was the best day I have had on the Bay in many many years.  I was in the Hole and fished alone (so only one rod).  Fished from about 7:45 till maybe 10:30.  All in I had I think 7 or 8 salmon on.  I got 4 to the boat, but released the 4th because I had 3 (roughly 20, 15 and 12) in the cooler and didn't have enough space in our freezer to store that much fish.  I had a bunch of clean knock offs as well, but 3 or 4 were on long enough to feel the fight before they got off.  All fish were around 85 down over 115 to 130 ft.  All on Flasher/meat rig with a little "twist" I saw a guy on YouTube from Michigan do.  I ran an unhooked tinsel fly about half way between the flasher and the strip holder.  An extra swivel in the line holds the fly from running down the line.

I went out Sunday AM in that wind.  Only two other boats out bouncing around.  One was from our marina and runs a large RIB.  We only got one screamer on and not many fish marked. That fish felt big and really peeled the line before it came off. Running for the rod I slipped and broke a couple toes on the bench seat leg and slammed into the seat with my hip/thigh.  Still hurting. 

Offline SuperH

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2021, 09:55:42 am »
Thanks for the update Canuck.  I plan to be back on water Thursday/Friday so hope the weather holds and get some of that adrenalin pumping again.  Too back about the damaged toes.  Be careful out there.  I typically fish alone on one rod as well and in choppy water it can be a challenge, but have also had the best luck in the chop. 

Still curious as to whether 30 lb salmon are caught in Georgian Bay.  Have you?

Offline Canuck

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2021, 01:27:32 pm »
My biggest ever was about 25lbs and that was about 15 years ago.  20lbs is a good fish on Georgian Bay.  I think the one I lost earlier would have been my PB for Georgian Bay.  The 20lb one from Friday was definitely not as strong as the one I lost the week before.  I have not heard of many that are close to 30lbs.  The one that won the Owen Sound Derby this year was just under 25.

Offline awbringl

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2021, 08:41:04 am »
My biggest ever was about 25lbs and that was about 15 years ago.  20lbs is a good fish on Georgian Bay.  I think the one I lost earlier would have been my PB for Georgian Bay.  The 20lb one from Friday was definitely not as strong as the one I lost the week before.  I have not heard of many that are close to 30lbs.  The one that won the Owen Sound Derby this year was just under 25.

My numbers are rounded

2021:  winner of the Manitoulin Derby: 26 lbs,  winner of the Chantry: 22 lbs,  winner of the OS Spectacular: 25 lbs

2020: Covid - most derbies canceled

2019:  winner of Manitoulin Derby: 31 lbs (2nd place was also 31 lbs but a few ounces lighter; AND the top 25 fish weighed in for that derby were all over 21 lbs),  winner of Chantry: 29 lbs,  winner of OS Spectacular: 30 lbs

Those are just a few examples.  I personally haven't caught a 30+ pound salmon yet, but I've had several in the 25 range and lost a couple of giants that felt completely different than any of the 25's I landed.  So, I think the answer to your 30 pound question is Yes, they're out there.

cheers,

Offline SuperH

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2021, 07:27:20 pm »
Thanks, I really appreciate the response.  If others wish to provide their experience, please do.  I'm not sure how I would handle a 30 pounder in the boat alone, but would certainly like to try. I may need a bigger net and some low dose aspirin for my heart attack. :D

Offline Krawler

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2021, 12:06:13 pm »
I specialize in Quantity not Quality.

I rarely catch big fish, I go for numbers.  I think its because i target warmer waters vs cooler water where big fish are more likely to reside.  I also dont like Lakers so i avoid the cooler water depths but i feel larger salmon will congregate where temperatures are cooler which also seems to be the preference of majority of the bait.  Likely a correlation between size, bait and temp. 

My biggest this year was 21lbs.  Biggest salmon from the Bay was 26 lbs dating back to 1993 when I started rigging on the Bay.

I know a 28 was caught a week ago on Manitoulin, saw a 25 caught in Cwood and my buddy James Meger caught a few monsters in June (no scale but easily in the 20's). 

The Notty gets a very early run of fish in July, some fish even go up in late June.  These strain of fish could be the larger strain of Salmon in Gbay. 

Offline SuperH

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2021, 08:53:19 am »
Hi all you salmon fishers!
Is it now too late in the season to give it one last try for some salmon in "the hole"?  I plan to try again next week but wonder if I'm just wasting gas and time, or should I switch for some big fall pike and a few eyes still lurking in the weeds.
Just curious.

Offline Krawler

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2021, 11:11:32 am »
Back in the day we used to troll Coldwater and fish sturgeon hard throughout October. I recall many years peak runs of Salmon were often early October. That being said, runs are happening a lot earlier with these strain of Salmon and wish recent high water im sure a lot of fish have pushed through. But I’m sure there will be some late staging fish, if not stagers than 2 year olds could be hanging around. Most anglers have taken off their riggers but  I wouldn’t hesitate to go again and I wouldn’t be surprised if you got in to them.  Give it a shot and report back! Good luck!!