Author Topic: need tutor for 36ft boat docking on Sat-Sun at Beacon Bay Marina  (Read 2282 times)

Offline Andy-O

Looking for stand-by tutor for boat docking  on Sat-Sun , 1hour:  36ft boat at Beacon Bay Marina, Penetang
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 03:10:10 am by Andy-O »

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Laughin.Loon.Fishin

I use to have a 27fter at Beacon.   That marina is one of the BEST I have ever been to.   The people and the staff there are amazing and I really don't think you'll have any issues finding someone to help you learn to dock your 36ft.   

Hopefully you got one of the external slips. 
I believe the staff there will actually assist you with docking if your radio ahead of coming in.    I can't remember the channel though.       I wanna say 7. But I don't know.    GOOD LUCK. 

Offline Grandpa Jim

Re: need tutor for 36ft boat docking on Sat-Sun at Beacon Bay Marina
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 05:21:19 pm »
VHF Channel 68 will reach marinas on Georgian Bay. Call Beacon Bay and they should have a staff member or two at your dock. Shouldn't be too much of an adjustment from your previous boat unless winds create a problem. Wind will catch a larger boat due to increased surface area created by a fly bridge. Another factor when docking the larger boat is that weight will carry the boat considerably farther and harder than a lighter craft. Practice when the winds are non-existent and you will become comfortable in a short time. As with any boat ensure you have your dock lines and fenders firmly fastened and ready to be deployed. All the marinas are exceptionally busy right now so make sure you do have staff or fellow boaters ready in position to assist.
VHF Channel 71 should provide contact with boaters in your marina if you prefer to avoid Channel 16.
"... better to burn out, than to fade away ..." Neil Young

Offline Grandpa Jim

Re: need tutor for 36ft boat docking on Sat-Sun at Beacon Bay Marina
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 08:08:00 am »
An additional hint on docking: It's generally wind that can make the docking process a tad tricky at times. I have a burgee on the bow rail that provides some useful feedback as to the wind direction and how it might affect your docking strategies. However, the most accurate wind indicator can be found at the top of most sailboat masts. The wind vanes used by sailors are very accurate and provide valuable feedback to power boaters. If conditions are windy or gusty, I always do a quick visual check on the sail boat vanes when coming down the chute to my slip. Glancing at a handful of sailors' wind indicators and finding these all aligned in the exact same position provides a good reassurance that winds are stable and that you have an accurate picture of how the wind might affect your docking. One final bit of advice: don't pussy foot your way into your slip if winds are substantial. You will need moderate rpm's to control your boat and limit the chances of drifting off course. All of this becomes automatic very quickly as you gain confidence and experience from repeated dockings.
"... better to burn out, than to fade away ..." Neil Young