Author Topic: Salmon Spoons  (Read 22460 times)

Offline cheezypoof

Re: Salmon Spoons
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2020, 04:26:10 pm »
Landing an Atlantic would be a pleasant surprise, and indeed it would have to go in the cooler - I've never caught one, are they as much fun as a chinook?

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2020, 10:34:59 am »
There is a web cam live at the Sault Locks that shows a lot of Atlantics in the summer/ear;y fall.  There are a lot and its fun to watch.
https://www.lssu.edu/cfre/cfre-fishcam/

Offline work2fish

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2020, 09:35:46 am »
Caught this nice unicorn early season on lake O. It was extremely acrobatic and faught great. I released it due to the struggling population there, hence the name unicorn.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Offline MarkD

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2020, 11:15:28 am »
Superior has salmon, including atlantic salmon and pink salmon.  The St. Mary's river right at Sault Ste. Marie is popular for summer Atlantic fishing.
I was asking about Superior to compare it with GB. As Jim said alewife are doing poorly in GB and Huron as it is Northern range for alewife. I assume that Superior doesn't have alewife so it is interesting how strong population of salmons is in Superior and what is their diet.
So, Frank, you did mention Atlantic and pink salmons but not chinook and rainbow. Does Superior has a good population of chinook and rainbow?

Offline MarkD

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2020, 11:19:22 am »
Caught this nice unicorn early season on lake O. It was extremely acrobatic and faught great. I released it due to the struggling population there, hence the name unicorn.
I don't know what is "unicorn"... Seems to me as brown... Is it not?

Offline work2fish

« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2020, 11:24:56 am »
That is an Atlantic.  They are referred to as unicorn because they are not very prevalent despite stocking efforts.

Beautiful fish.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Offline Floats Gone

« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2020, 11:25:42 am »
by unicorn he means Atlantic Salmon

Offline MarkD

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2020, 11:34:07 am »
Ok, thanks!

Offline MarkD

« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2020, 11:39:09 am »
So, Jim, come back to the question about two rods on GB, do you think it is impossible to push MNR for that?

Offline Mrbeee

« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2020, 01:45:22 pm »
They are starting to look at changing some regs on the Great Lakes   So if enough people contacted them. They may look into it. 

Offline Homelands101

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2020, 11:17:25 am »
I am sure there would be support. Need to get some sort of a petition going either online or a hard copy, presented with real current lake information....wouldn’t see the harm in a few extra lake trout pulled from the lake

Offline MarkD

« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2020, 12:28:06 pm »
No doubt there will be some support, but I'm not sure which way we should act. There might be a lot of stakeholders here, such as local fishing clubs (for ex. Georgian Triangle Anglers’ Association), OFAH, Great Lakes Fishery Commission and other which I'm not aware off.
I'm expecting Jim (Grandpa Jim) could suggest something here.

Offline MarkD

« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2020, 12:32:06 pm »
It's not difficult to start a petition, bu I'm not sure what impact it would get and who is going to consider it.

Offline andrew9638

« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2020, 01:10:41 pm »
I was asking about Superior to compare it with GB. As Jim said alewife are doing poorly in GB and Huron as it is Northern range for alewife. I assume that Superior doesn't have alewife so it is interesting how strong population of salmons is in Superior and what is their diet.
So, Frank, you did mention Atlantic and pink salmons but not chinook and rainbow. Does Superior has a good population of chinook and rainbow?

I lived up in Thunder Bay 15 yrs ago and used to catch tons of rainbows in superior tributarys during spawning runs.
Saw lots of kings running up the nipigon river, a lot of guys had success fishing them out of boats.
Also saw pink salmon running.
One time I landed a huge coaster brookie in the McKenzie river while steelhead fishing, that was an awesome surprise!!
There were good smelt runs too, scooped a few of those.
That country is still my favourite place on earth, I’d love to go back!! Now marriage and young kids keeping me down south.
Camping out on crown land on those gorgeous superior river mouths, those were my best days ever.

Offline MarkD

« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2020, 02:26:39 pm »
I did drive through North of Superior few years ago. Absolutely gorgeous land and the lake! I was only dreaming how good fishing would be there and what kind of living would be up North around such enormous lake...
So it appears that among all deep Great lakes only GB is performing poorly on Salmon and its pray fish (not sure about HUron).
I'm guessing while it is easy and may be partially true to blame alewife population collapse for this, there is something else if Superior doesn't hold any alewife and seems like doing much better than GB in terms of salmon population.