Author Topic: Suggestions on Water Worth Exploring  (Read 2945 times)

Offline Fishpants

Suggestions on Water Worth Exploring
« on: May 23, 2017, 09:11:34 pm »
Hello all,

I'm heading from Mississauga to Sudbury and back for work, and I'm thinking of towing a boat and taking a day.

Can anyone suggest launch sites that are on that route and worth exploring? Direct messages preferred.

I have done lots of walleye and pike fishing, but almost all of it is north of Lake Superior. I also know Lake Ontario's salmon fishery well, and I would be happy to swap info.

About a year ago I spent a late fall day on Lake Nippissing. It was a nice boat ride, but that was about it.

Brian

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
    • Time on the Water Canada
Re: Suggestions on Water Worth Exploring
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 06:44:03 am »
Brian did you want locations directly on your route?

Offline Fishpants

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 08:08:38 pm »
Brian did you want locations directly on your route?

I will probably divide up to Sudbury, stay over there, work a full day there, drive south to somewhere where I can launch the boat and spend a night. Then fish for a whole day and drive the rest of the way home.

So... I don't mind going off the highway to spend the night at a lodge or hotel that is near a launch, etc.

Thanks John.

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
    • Time on the Water Canada
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 09:45:06 am »
I was just talking to Bob Izumi who is filming at the Spanish River mouth. The fishing has been great.

Offline Fishpants

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 09:11:38 pm »
Thanks. I'll have a look.

Offline Fishpants

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 11:53:31 pm »
John, do you think Moon River is worth a try?

Offline Fishpants

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 11:36:49 am »
Landed on Point au Baril. Stayed at and launched out of Pleasant Cove cottages. They were excellent. It was all new to me and I covered a lot of water, fishing the channel to the lighthouse and then west to Shawanaga River. I didn't see any walleye and fishing was slow. Total tally was 2 small pike, a small musky and several bass. Everything was released. Most of the time was using small jigs for walleye, or a large Williams, a #5 blue fox spoon or a big orange and gold rapala for pike. I fished walleye for the first couple of hours and the last hour. Most of the day rest was spent looking for pike. Had a few better pike follows in the area between Brignall Banks and the lighthouse, where rock and weeds met in about 10-12 feet of water. But it was a windy day which made the area a little harder to work through, and the weeds were harder to spot. None of the other guests I spoke to had caught walleye, or much of anything else either.