Author Topic: Interesting article on salmon rebound in Lake Michigan  (Read 1258 times)

Offline Fishpants

Interesting article on salmon rebound in Lake Michigan
« on: September 01, 2017, 10:16:20 am »
I thought this was interesting: Lake Michigan Salmon are Back, But Why?

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/lake_michigan_chinook_salmon_are_back_but_why_msg17_okeefe17

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
    • Time on the Water Canada
Re: Interesting article on salmon rebound in Lake Michigan
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 03:13:43 pm »
Thanks for that. It is an interesting article and goes to show the temperamental nature of the balance of food and pray. Volatility isn't very comforting when trying to plan a charter business. Even Georgian Bay seems to be rebounding although we are not seeing the growth rates.   

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
Re: Interesting article on salmon rebound in Lake Michigan
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 03:53:57 pm »
Keep in mind that there is an active State run hatchery/stocking program for Chinook salmon in lake Michigan.  As far as I know there is no stocking in the east side of Georgian Bay.  Ours are natural spawning only.  I am really hopeful that the cool summer, higher rainfall and higher lake/river levels will mean a better spawn this year, and in 3 years we will have a great fishery again.  But I am worried about the salmon feed in the Bay.  Its rare to clean one with a full belly anymore.  When I was fishing Lake O, the salmon's bellies always had alewife and smelt in them.  Lately up here, usually empty.