Author Topic: Winter commercial fishing  (Read 1955 times)

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
Winter commercial fishing
« on: November 29, 2018, 05:14:46 pm »
Took this picture last weekend of the Christian Island fishing boat laying nets on the whitefish/laketrout spawning shoals off our place.  I guess its their right, but seems at odds with maintaining fishing stocks.

Over the years I have seen those guys out in unbelievably cold and windy weather right through November.  Got to be hardy to do that.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 05:17:29 pm by Canuck »

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Fishpants

Re: Winter commercial fishing
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 05:57:15 pm »
Those guys do the same thing in the spring, right out in front of our place, East of Awenda, in about 30–60 feet of water. I can only imagine how many smallmouth they pick up as “bycatch.” I don’t think they worry about sustainability of any one type of fish. When one gets hammered into obscurity, they just switch to another. Huge net. Pretty grim.

Offline Tomary

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 07:08:12 pm »
I don’t dispute their rights but I do blame the ministry for at least not having a better stocking program like the our US neighbours do. It would be nice if we had the salmon in GBay like they do in Ontario... 

But then again the nets would take them :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Fishpants

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 07:11:49 pm »
I don’t dispute their rights but I do blame the ministry for at least not having a better stocking program like the our US neighbours do. It would be nice if we had the salmon in GBay like they do in Ontario... 

But then again the nets would take them :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they stocked more salmon, I expect we would end up with fewer salmon. The big difference between GB and Lake Ontario is the number of alewife. Lake Ontario has a healthy supply of salmon food. GB has relatively little feed these days. Alewife are rare.

Offline Fishpants

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 07:14:11 pm »
Check this out. Recent article looking at the state of GB’s Chinook fishery.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-lake-michigan-chinook-salmon-diet-20181121-story.html

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 10:34:39 pm »
Those guys do the same thing in the spring, right out in front of our place, East of Awenda, in about 30–60 feet of water. I can only imagine how many smallmouth they pick up as “bycatch.” I don’t think they worry about sustainability of any one type of fish. When one gets hammered into obscurity, they just switch to another. Huge net. Pretty grim.

I have seen the nets there.  I wish they used a red flag on the marker buoys instead of the black.  I have almost run over their nets a few times when they are in that inner area near your place.

Offline Fishpants

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 03:05:47 am »

I have seen the nets there.  I wish they used a red flag on the marker buoys instead of the black.  I have almost run over their nets a few times when they are in that inner area near your place.

Yup. Or right off Awenda, where people troll.

Offline Jim fisher

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 06:37:28 pm »
Leaves a real bad taste in my mouth. Should be grand fathered. 16 and older , good to go. Anyone younger change the rules  at least to open season netting. Not off the beds.

Offline EsoxWanderer

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 09:06:16 pm »
Leaves a real bad taste in my mouth. Should be grand fathered. 16 and older , good to go. Anyone younger change the rules  at least to open season netting. Not off the beds.

Agreed, this is BS.There shouldnt be any commercial fishing on the bay in my opinion, especially for fish like lake trout etc

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
    • Time on the Water Canada
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 09:03:36 am »
After Lake Trout monopolized the rehab budget for years, leaving everything else to suffer, the same reasons the fishery is in the condition it is in, is back out there with any concern for the fishery. The recreational angler subsidize the commercial harvesting to the determent of us all. Worse than this is that trout have one of the lowest price per lb than any other fish. It would cost far less to simply pay them to not fish. Over $3 million a year spent on Lake Trout rehab.