Author Topic: Saturday Troll  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Krawler

Saturday Troll
« on: May 20, 2019, 06:17:58 pm »
Couldnít resist the calm seas so went for a troll, not expecting much as the water is cold and we donít get many silver fish this time of year around Christian Island. Lots of cold water, 37 degrees for the most but found a pocket of 38-40. Found a pod of lakers in deep water, hit one immediately. Then as I trolled through that pocket of 39 degree water, My rigger fires and starts screaming. No way thatís a laker. After a few good runs and a tangled net I managed to get a 12lb salmon in the boat.
Trolled for another few mins without a hit, at that point I was freezing and decided to go in. Not bad for a few hours with low expectations.
Went out Sunday and played on the inside to avoid cold east winds. Water was 42-44 degrees, loads of bugs. Marked steady bait, high hooks and lakers on
bottom but didnít last long as the storms came in pretty quick.
Hope to be back out next weekend.

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Online grampa

Re: Saturday Troll
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 10:15:36 pm »
good job nice fish hope to get out later in the week myself.

Offline paolotca

Re: Saturday Troll
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 09:24:46 am »
I went out Saturday late afternoon 4 to 6.  First time out and just wanted to make sure all the gear was in working order.  Fished in the Sound close to Kilbear.  Water temps were around 42.  Marked lots of fish in the 70 to 100 ft range, and a few in the 50 to 70 ft range.  Trolled the surface for a while close to shore, used a silver and blue rapala floating body lure with a 1/2 oz. weight.  Hit a 8 lb laker.  Switched to trolling with a NK spoon (EEG) at around 75-80 ft and caught a 5 lb laker.  Weather became chilly so went back in.

All in all, good outing, all the gear in good working order.  Hopefully weather gets better for the upcoming weekend, hope to head down to 12 mile and see if there are any salmon.