Author Topic: Salmon Spoons  (Read 9201 times)

Offline MarkD

Re: Salmon Spoons
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2020, 04:14:41 pm »
Seems like Waterwolf is no longer available. Their website offers the manual but not the camera itself....

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline ray-can

« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2020, 04:27:26 pm »

Offline MarkD

« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2020, 04:49:09 pm »
TrollPro produces only accessories to the GoPro or Garmin cameras.
They all too expensive.
There seems to be a cheaper alternative
https://gofishcam.com/products/gofish-cam
 but it is connected in line while I think it is better to connect to the cannon ball directly.
Not sure though...

Offline MarkD

« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2020, 09:53:37 pm »
Thanks!
Advantage of this one is 3 hours of recording on the battery compared to 2.5h on GoFish, but disadvantage is 164 ft waterproof compared to 500 ft on GoFish.

And among the other things I'd like to know what exactly my sonar shows at 200 ft ....

Offline Chris B

« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2020, 09:06:08 am »
One spoon brand that has failed to be mentioned on this sub-forum is the Gripper. How many of you are familiar with them?

Offline BillM

« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2020, 12:06:59 pm »
I also use a Waterwolf - I mounted the holder to my cannonball fin.  Great clarity up here on Gbay.  Spotted 3 salmon swiping at my spoon tonight, but only had one of them pop the rod and spit the hook.

I want a camera but dunno if the ticker could take all the fish that come up, sniff and never bite lol! 

Offline awbringl

« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2020, 01:29:13 pm »
One spoon brand that has failed to be mentioned on this sub-forum is the Gripper. How many of you are familiar with them?

Not at all familiar with them and haven't seen them locally.  Where do you get them, and how do they differ from say...NKs, Stingers, Silver Fox, Hotfish, etc...  Maybe a pic??

Offline Kingfisher

« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2020, 06:52:20 am »
I just received an order of 8 Grippers in a variety of colours, looking forward to giving them a try next trip out to GB.

Offline Chris B

« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2020, 08:25:47 am »
Not at all familiar with them and haven't seen them locally.  Where do you get them, and how do they differ from say...NKs, Stingers, Silver Fox, Hotfish, etc...  Maybe a pic??

They are made of lexan instead of metal, which makes them light weight. Hooks and split rings are made of stainless steel. Constructed with high quality tapes and can be custom ordered. Some body colours absorb light through the face and reflect it through the edges. The biggest difference comes in operating speed, as they are made to be trolled fast (2.7-3.5MPH ball speed) which is effective for salmon/trout and breaks from the industry standard of slow moving baits. Should you wish to get in contact with the company or see pictures of their spoons you can find them on instagram @gripperlures

Offline awbringl

« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2020, 12:45:08 pm »
They are made of lexan instead of metal, which makes them light weight. Hooks and split rings are made of stainless steel. Constructed with high quality tapes and can be custom ordered. Some body colours absorb light through the face and reflect it through the edges. The biggest difference comes in operating speed, as they are made to be trolled fast (2.7-3.5MPH ball speed) which is effective for salmon/trout and breaks from the industry standard of slow moving baits. Should you wish to get in contact with the company or see pictures of their spoons you can find them on instagram @gripperlures

Thanks for the info Chris.  Lexan eh?  At times I run the Apex Trolling lures - also made of a plastic type material (not sure exact material) and designed to be run 3+ mph.  But they are not really spoons. I assume these Grippers are shaped and styled like a traditional spoon?

I am not on the facebook or instagram. But I will try to find them...I always find it interesting to try new designs and see what works.

p.s. I lost a very big salmon last night.   :'(  I believe the biggest I've ever had on a line.  Hooked with a small flasher and freedom cut herring lure. 

Offline Chris B

« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2020, 01:38:40 pm »
Thanks for the info Chris.  Lexan eh?  At times I run the Apex Trolling lures - also made of a plastic type material (not sure exact material) and designed to be run 3+ mph.  But they are not really spoons. I assume these Grippers are shaped and styled like a traditional spoon?

I am not on the facebook or instagram. But I will try to find them...I always find it interesting to try new designs and see what works.

p.s. I lost a very big salmon last night.   :'(  I believe the biggest I've ever had on a line.  Hooked with a small flasher and freedom cut herring lure.

They are a spoon but not shaped like a traditional one. I have tried to post pictures with my phone but the file size is too big. I am not overly familiar with how to use this site yet but if you send me a PM I may be able to send you some pictures.

I truly feel for you on losing a big salmon. Was guiding some friends a couple weeks ago and had to hand the rod to a newbie with a big screamer on the line. He fought the fish for almost 20 minutes and was almost spooled (350 plus yards of 17lb test). Almost cried man tears when the hook pulled, fish stayed deep the whole time, usually the sign of a giant.

Offline Wilbur007

« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2020, 08:42:20 pm »
These spoons/material were introduced in the early '90s.  At that time they were marketed as "The Illuminator".  The company sent me a box of these lure to try out/promote.  How successful?  Well, .....when someone asked how I made out that day, I would throw a huge number at them and follow it buy claiming "all caught on the orange Illuminator"!  They knew then that it was pure B.S.

Here's a photo of what they looked like.  The came in clear colours and in magnum size as well. 

Are these similar to the design of the "Gripper"?

Offline Krawler

« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2020, 09:07:51 pm »
The gripper is shaped like a Diamond, straight lines.  Not your typical trolling bait by the look and feel of them.  But they catch fish and thatís all that matters. 
I donít have a pic off hand but they donít resemble a spoon shape at all. 

Offline Saugeen Drifter

« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2020, 10:16:07 pm »
Great read fisher's; Hey Krawler which port do you fish out of? Don't need your GPS location, just curious where on GB you are having such a great spoon bite, I'm out of Owen Sound and have yet to get any real spoon pattern established.
Take a kid fishing
Give a child a fish, the child eats for a day, teach a child to fish, the child eats for a life time and tells a life time of big fish stories
When my time comes I will never say, "I wish I would have worked more", I will say I wish I could have fished more.