Author Topic: Trolling report  (Read 23118 times)

Offline Krawler

Re: Trolling report
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2020, 09:55:08 pm »
Interesting troll this evening.  Couldnít stick it to them. 2/8
Decent bow and laker
The rest were screaming salmon. Must have been hitting the lure from the side. Another buddy went 1/6 so it wasnít only me. 
Good reports from the Bay today, fish are around and actively feeding!

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline MarkD

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2020, 02:00:15 pm »
So, Krawler, you are saying that in some days there is more popup without hooking the fish and in other days you hook proportionally more?
Did I understand is right?

Offline Krawler

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2020, 10:20:59 pm »
Yes!  Often when hooked and fish gets off we call it a knockoff

3/4 this am
Cold water between the islands. Kinda new that but ventured anyways. 55 degrees down 50. I consider that cold.  Through out my long line and took salmon, bow and laker.
1/2 this evening. Was very rough so didnít last long. BUT ... Got my first 20 of the season.  Best fight Iíve had in gbay. Fish stopped at 555 ft on the counter. Unreal battle. Stayed deep right to the boat. Moonshines have been doing much of the damage lately.

Offline MarkD

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2020, 11:20:08 pm »
I see most people fish mornings and/or evenings but skip daytime. Is it because salmon is not active during the day or for other reasons, like hot air temperature, nap after lunch etc?
I personally also seem to get more hits in the mornings or evenings but not sure if it is a rule or just coincidence.

Offline Krawler

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2020, 06:41:06 am »
I personally canít stand the heat plus my chore list is long and prefer to tackle it during the day.  But I know a few guys that follow the Solunar Theory and do very well during peak sunlight.
When I do fish midday and high sun Iíll throw on a big bait or flasher and meat, ignore Temps And drop riggers usually 50ft below optimal temp.  Thatís also what I do on Lake O.
Mind you That doesnít work for staging fish But mid summer kings it does for me.

Offline John Kendell

« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2020, 12:11:11 pm »
Krawler - your getting them on the lead core?  I have yet to run that out here - ever.  I had 55F at 48-52' the last few days off Collingwood.  Fished that temp hard and nada.  Last night I zipped out after 6:30 but wind quickly picked up and waves were hitting 3' so I pulled the plug. 

I find in Lake O I catch many fish between noon and 2PM, but morning and evening are better.  Up here I have never fished the mid-day window.  Just too much slow fishing to stay out that long most of the time.  Mind you I have not fished up here this much in summer in 25+ years so maybe I will stay out longer one of these days.

Offline MarkD

« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2020, 06:02:11 pm »
I am the second season on this board and I see that Krawler's performance is the best....
I'm appreciate his responds and all explanation to my questions but I still cannot get how he manages that...

Offline grampa

« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2020, 06:49:48 pm »
fishing the bay for more than 20 years might have something to do with it ;D

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2020, 08:08:57 pm »
fishing the bay for more than 20 years might have something to do with it ;D
hes a teacher I thought. Summers off. Iíll do better that him when I retire.  ;D

Offline Krawler

« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2020, 10:02:30 pm »
The teacher life allows me to spend ample time on the Bay and on Lake O. 

Today was an interesting troll. Opted for midday bc of the overcast conditions. Decided on a run and gun approach. Trolled 6 spots.  Found fish in most spots but could only get bites in 4 of the them.  Even ran out to the Hump, Picked up a nice size rainbow out there.
Didnít mark many fish today which was strange even when temps were down 80+ ft.
When that happens I know to lengthen my lead.  100ft back minimum at all depths.
Also was able to take 2 fish today on cut bait today.
Thunderstorms chased me off
Hopefully be out tomorrow
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 03:12:14 am by Krawler »

Offline Krawler

« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2020, 02:28:47 pm »
Great 3 hours this morning ! 8/10 6 salmon, bow and a laker. Constant action.
Turn up the sensitivity, find the thermo and fish it. Despite the warm surface temps, optimal temps
Continue to be just below the surface. Salmon are sitting in warm water I find.  Lots of bait, bellies are full of smelt, very healthy fish.  Still on standard size spoons, they wonít touch the mags.
Heard lots of fish caught this am, hope everyone was able to tie into a few.

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2020, 04:28:47 pm »
Fished the hole this am with lots of others. 0/0. Marking lots but no takers. 

Offline Speerzy

« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2020, 08:15:02 pm »
Went 0/2. Lost both at the boat ???. It was nice to feel what a fish is like on the end of the rod. Yes very surprised how high the fish were up in the water column. Need to leave a little earlier on the weekend to get a spot at the launch!!
Speerzy

Offline MarkD

« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2020, 02:39:45 pm »
Went to 12 Mile bay yesterday. Trolled 6 hours before/after sunrise, 3 hours before sunset.
Lost one very small fish at the boat, seems like herring or whitefish, and another fish right away after I garbed the rod. All takers in the morning, nothing after sunrise or later.
Question: when you say 'fish is in upper column' or 'fish is under the surface' what exactly depth do you mean?

Offline Tom McCutcheon

« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2020, 04:10:14 pm »
upper column means above the thermocline. Under the surface is just that, 2 to 15 feet below the surface. These surface fish might be feeding on surface hatch