Author Topic: Georgian Bay Lakers and Salmon  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Fox Fishing 4K (Youtube)

• Sub to our YOUTUBE channel.
    • Fox Fishing Youtube Channel
Georgian Bay Lakers and Salmon
« on: May 31, 2020, 01:43:23 am »
Well it has been an amazing year for fishing so far on Georgian Bay. Many days with double digit lakers and some large ones at that! The downrigging for salmon or bows has not been great. Actually we have not even caught one yet lol. We have tried inner structures and out to the islands. TONS of marks, schools of smelts, and endless lakers (once you find the bait) but nothing chrome. Not even a shaker!. Going to have to venture farther out I think to get into some chrome fish.
A few days were fun with the lakers when they were so thick you could stop and Jig them. John Whyte, James, Steve Bowles, Shrek and myself had a great couple weeks messing with them. As for the lakers this year they are deep. Lots of our fish are from 75 feet and deeper. We figured with the cooler water they would be up on shoals and shallower and that has not been the case. Many lakers were also filled with smelt which is good to see. Bite has been a spoon bite close and almost on bottom with anything that glows. We ran moonshine magnum spoons.
Hopefully wind dies down this week and we will head over to the outside of Christian island way and see if we can pick up some kings. The lakers were fun for a bit but reeling in a water logged boot is only fun for so long.

Have my underwater housing built for the gopro and we tested it the other day with fabulous results. Hoping to get some underwater strikes this year for the youtube channel. For anyone who follows the you tube channel some underwater videos will be coming! May have to test the housing on the lakers one last day just to see it in action.

When we get back from the outside of Christian I will report back how we did. Tight lines everyone.
Check out our YOUTUBE channel. FOX FISHING 4K! Features summer and winter fishing for Crappie, Whitefish, Lakers, Walleye and more. Fishing many local waters such as Georgian Bay and Lake Simcoe.

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Krawler

Re: Georgian Bay Lakers and Salmon
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 06:25:29 pm »
Caught some nice silver fish this past week around the islands.
The leads off our balls has been minimum 150’ Stealth approach!

Your go pro shots might be better taken in the summer, not to say they won’t hit closer to the ball now but our hits have been coming with long leads.

Good luck. Look forward to seeing your videos.

Offline MarkD

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 11:32:58 am »
Well it has been an amazing year for fishing so far on Georgian Bay. Many days with double digit lakers and some large ones at that!
Wow! That gets me nervous! If everyone around is saying getting salmons I'm still relaxed. I'm not much experienced fisherman and my gear is quite limited. But if there is possibility to catch lakers and I only was able to catch an odd one in 1.5 seasons on GB... that's makes me frustrated...

Offline jaywinfield91

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 04:22:45 pm »
Your not alone markd

Offline MarkD

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 06:26:35 pm »
Krawler,
what I understand, Stealth approach mean keeping the lure from the cannon or dipsy diver further (150'). You are also saying that this is important early season while later, in August the lure can be closer (around 30-50' ??)
May I ask what logic, facts, etc are behind this? Or it is just an experience?
Also some were saying that later season the trolling speed should be increased. Due to warmer water or any other factors?
I'm just trying to understand things around rather than just follow tips and suggestions.
Thanks!

Offline Krawler

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 10:47:25 pm »
Typically. the cooler the water is the longer the leads I will run.  The temps the fish are in now are very cool and near the low end of their preferred temperature range.  In order to find warmer water which could mean closer to stronger sunlight rays the fish will come closer to the surface.  That being said the noise from the boats and other surface disruptions will make the fish skittish which means they will not hang out near the rear of the boat and consequently your spread.  Longer leads will help locate fish that are further away from the boats noise.  Its also good to turn often to help cover more angles where fish could be cruising often a few meters away from the boats path.   

In summer when temps set up, salmon will find warmer water deeper in the water column which is less affected by boat noise and surface disruptions.  At this point you can shorten your leads anywhere from 5 to whatever lead you like.  The fish are often aggressive.  Often I watch the graph and let the fish tell me how far back the leads should be.  If they are moving around a lot I will shorten my lead, if they are less aggressive we will lengthen our leads. 

The opposite is true when fishing late summer and targeting staging fish.  These fish are no longer feeding and have one thing on their mind.  So you have to entice strikes.  I often find larger spoon baits closer to the ball will do the trick, however long leads in shallow with a plug can be great too. 

Hope this sheds some light on leader lengths on the Bay.

Offline MarkD

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 05:06:05 pm »
So, basically what you are saying is that we need  longer leads for shallow trolling and shorter leads for deep water?
This year I saw many times that fish following the ball but no strikes for lure 50 ft behind. Does it mean that I should bring the lure closer?
Thanks!

Offline Krawler

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 10:26:55 pm »
Yes!  When you see follows, shorten your lead. Experiment with different lengths.

Offline John Kendell

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 09:25:01 am »
Fox - just saw your video - nice to see some salmon.  For strike shots I suggest trying the Waterwolf camera.  I use a gopro mount attached to my cannonball and then attached the waterwold clip to it.  I've fished it down to 140 feet with no issues.  I have managed a lot of strike shots in Gbay and Lake O.  The images from up here are excellent with the water clarity.  The downside is the lure needs to be on a short lead - say 6-10 feet.  3-5' for lake O.  The camera is less than a gopro and is torpedo shaped.  You could also run it on the line for a longer lead.  Last week I had a ton of laker follows and a couple strikes.  John