Author Topic: Rainbow with roe  (Read 1189 times)

Offline MarkD

Rainbow with roe
« on: June 10, 2020, 11:15:56 pm »
As I reported previously, we got an average size rainbow near 12 mile bay last Saturday. When I got the fish in the boat it emitted some roe on the bottom of the boat. I thought it is only last remaining eggs in the fish.. However, when I open it at home it has about a pint of nice ripe roe.
It seems to me very strange as it is not the season for rainbow spawning. Also, there is no streams around 12 Mile bay to enter for spawning. How that fish occurred in there with roe?
Also, I expected the roe in the fish is supposed to be in kind of bladder or otherwise contained from other organs. But in this case the roe was just freely distributed in the belly cavity among intestines and other organs... is it normal for late ripe roe in rainbow?
Any comments on that?
Thanks!

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Valley Tackle co

Re: Rainbow with roe
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 07:59:21 am »
Had the same thing happen in same area but we filled a small freezer bag full of loose roe ... large rainbow 7-8 lbs ... I do believe some fish will spawn on outer gravel bars and along shorelines ... but does seem late

Offline Canuck

• Georgian Sands Beach / Oakville
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 09:01:56 am »
Sounds like they might be escapees from fish farming.  They are kind of genetic mutants bred for aquaculture so maybe their spawning cycle is messed up.

Offline MarkD

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 09:30:15 am »
Sounds like they might be escapees from fish farming.  They are kind of genetic mutants bred for aquaculture so maybe their spawning cycle is messed up.
This is what I also thought!
Is there any way to say if it's from the farm or natural? I already asked that on another forum, people say that farm 'bow looks like a ball, more rounded than oblong.
This fish didn't look too much rounded... However it has strange meat pattern, not uniform in color. Not sure if it could be seen on picture.

Offline Krawler

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 11:14:46 am »
If the fish has wide girth (football shaped) and rounded tail than likely a pen raised fish.  I caught one last June near Christian Island, 12 lbs, full of loose roe, meat was on the white side.  I was disappointed.

Offline Canuck

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 11:21:48 am »
That meat looks a bit "icky" to me.  I have not caught many bows but a couple years ago I caught a pair around Beckwith.  The meat was more normal looking.  Pink coloured.  Not the red you sometimes get, but deep pink like normal trout.  I think that might be an excapee. 

Normally they are more football shaped and often have blunted tails from circling the outside of the pens and rubbing their tails on the cage.  The ones I caught I think were "naturals" because they looked the shape you expect.

Offline MarkD

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 11:22:12 am »
If the fish has wide girth (football shaped) and rounded tail than likely a pen raised fish.  I caught one last June near Christian Island, 12 lbs, full of loose roe, meat was on the white side.  I was disappointed.
Then, yes, my fish was also from a farm.
And seems like these fish have addled reproduction cycle if they have ripe roe in June and in improper places.

Offline BillM

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 01:06:42 am »
Escapee.   Not uncommon to find roe in them no matter what time of year.

Offline Canuck

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 08:09:26 am »
Somewhat related -- I did some work with a company that makes pellet fish farming food.  One of the key ingredients in the food is dye.  Yellow and red (orange) for Atlantic salmon.  More red for trout.  So no surprise that the genetic mutants meat is pale when they escape into the wild.    I will eat farmed salmon (my wife loves to eat Atlantic salmon), but I don't like the fact it is full of dye chemicals so I prefer wild caught fish for sure.  I love to eat the G-Bay chinook's though and they probably have more chemicals than the farmed fish - so I am a bit hypocritical.

Offline MarkD

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 11:10:35 am »
One of the key ingredients in the food is dye.  Yellow and red (orange) for Atlantic salmon.  More red for trout.
A couple of comments on that.
Dyes are not necessarily bad. For example one of the common dyes used to color foods is carotene, the chemical which makes carrots red/orange color. Nothing bad in it.
I do have some disgust for fish and meat in the stores and for years use only what I can get in the wild. However I think there is no data that farm produced meat and fish are in any way unhealthy comparing to the wild.
Interesting that provincial government spends quite a bit of resources to test wild fish and issues yearly well known Guide to Eating Ontario Fish. But I never heard that same type of monitoring was done for the fish we get in stores, foreign, Ontario, wild or pen raised...
So no surprise that the genetic mutants meat is pale when they escape into the wild.
I'm not sure why do you think that it is expected that escapee would have pale color flesh. I would think right otherwise. They supposed to have more intense color comparing to wild fish due to the fact that they were fed dyes.
And that was puzzled me in my fish. On that cut I make picture off, it could be seen that part of the flesh is pale and part is somewhat red/orange. How that was occurred? In the pen the fish supposed to have intense red color do to the dues, in the wild - due to the normal diet...
I guess, Frank, you are right that farm fish would have pale flesh, but logically it is supposed to be right opposite...

Offline Jonnylarue

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 01:15:28 pm »
The flesh is naturally pale (genetics). Once they escape they stop eating the coloured pellets. Flesh reverts to natural (pale).

Offline MarkD

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 02:37:06 pm »
The flesh is naturally pale (genetics). Once they escape they stop eating the coloured pellets. Flesh reverts to natural (pale).
So, what you are saying is that rainbow trout has naturally pale flesh, unlike other salmons which have more orange/red flesh?
I didn't know that..
Actually... I got a rainbow in may from Ontario and the flesh appears to be kind of pink/red, but not pale for sure..
Ok, I just google it... They say:The color of rainbow trout meat will vary with diet and environmental conditions. Rainbow trout meat can range in color from white to dark red. Steelhead meat is pink like salmon, dark red or orange meat may indicate the trout has been farm fed a supplemental diet.
https://forum.americanexpedition.us/rainbow-trout-information-facts-photos-and-artwork
That's what I actually expected: it depends on diet and ... not sure what are "other conditions"...

Offline BillM

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 11:18:29 am »
All the escapees my oldman has eaten haven't been pale at all. 

Offline MarkD

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2020, 03:09:43 pm »
So any other ideas how this uneven pattern could occur?

Offline John Kendell

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2020, 11:36:04 am »
The meat colour is common in post spawn/drop back steelhead.  They put most of their energy into producing eggs/spawning and don't eat much so the flesh turns white/pale pink.  Every post spawn steelhead I have seen cleaned had the same flesh colour.  Once they start eating again they quickly regain the redish-orange flesh colour.  Since it still had eggs it likely just left a river and was starting to feed.  They absorb the eggs back into the body over a few months and start producing new eggs for next years spawn.  Every pen net rainbow I have seen has had orange flesh.  The pen fish tend to be short, fat, have worn/rounded fins and usually don't fight much.