Author Topic: Finally a big water boat  (Read 666 times)

Offline Laughin.Loon.Fishin

Finally a big water boat
« on: June 11, 2020, 07:38:52 am »
Well I finally got a boat that is going to allow me to fish / downrigg GB.
I got a 2011 Legend 20 Xcalibur with a 115hp Mercury.   It's outfitted with Walker Downrigger but no kicker motor.  YET.   
SO if you see me out there please please please come say hello and feel free to Point out what I'm doing wrong. Lol.   

TIGHT LINES  ALL

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Krawler

Re: Finally a big water boat
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 07:43:11 am »
Where are you fishing out of?  Friend has same set up with a 115, No need for a kicker.

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 08:04:26 am »
Where are you fishing out of?  Friend has same set up with a 115, No need for a kicker.
That's what I'm hoping someone would say.  Lol I haven't had the riggers down yet so I don't know the speeds I can obtain.   
I live in Tiny and will be accessing from either HOGS or JACKSONS.
Some might know me on here at "Poickster" but I figure my fishing ID would be more beneficial.   

Thanks for the reply KRAWLER

Offline Grandpa Jim

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 09:16:15 am »
LLF,
       I'd highly recommend that a good set of trolling bags (not drift socks) would provide control over your trolling speed requirements. I use the Amish Beefy Bags which are well worth every penny and a whole lot cheaper than a kicker. These come in a variety of sizes and will last for years. Tie them off to a boat cleat that keeps the bags to the side of the hull and ahead of the stern to eliminate any interference when netting fish. Deployment and retrieval of the bags is extremely simple. An added advantage to the bags is that they provide stability in choppy conditions and eliminate the tendency to side slip which is inherent with an offset kicker motor. Congrats on your new rig.
"... better to burn out, than to fade away ..." Neil Young

Offline work2fish

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 01:27:59 pm »
I have a 115 and trolls down to the low end of salmon speeds (2.2 mph). I also use amish bags when fishing walleye and can get down to 1.5 with the 115 and the bags.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 09:43:02 am »
Great to know guys thank you for the info. 

Offline Kevin B

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 02:13:53 pm »
I installed an "EasyTroller" trolling plate and it works great.  This is the second boat Ive used the plate on.  Easy and fast to install and doesn't get in the way.  You can get one for under 50hp or one of over 50hp motors.  You can get it from Amazon.  My 90hp can get under 1.7mph.  Another option. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 07:30:24 pm by Kevin B »