Author Topic: Georgian Bay Recommendations  (Read 394 times)

Offline newfie36

Georgian Bay Recommendations
« on: June 26, 2020, 11:14:14 am »
Hi Everyone,

Looking to get some advice on where to go on Georgian bay to try for Salmon, Walleye and rainbows. Normally fish lake O and Lake Erie but I am planning to take a few days next week and fish further north.

Any advice where to go in the bay this time of year to find the species mentioned would be appreciated!!

Any good marinas would be helpful although I can sleep on my boat if there are good remote spots!

Will return the favor if someone wants to come to Lake O for a salmon fishing trip!

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline MarkD

Re: Georgian Bay Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 11:27:58 am »
Where exactly are you going to? GB is big and not like LO which just a big deep pool.
In GB, different areas differ significantly. But generally speaking for salmons GB is at least twice less productive comparing to LO.
As for walleye and pike - it is opposite. But as far as I know nothing will beat Erie walleye.
Just IMHO.

Offline newfie36

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 11:38:23 am »
i agree Lake O is the best for salmon but mostly looking for some new scenery and to catch a few walleye and salmon if possible.

Got 5 days and willing to travel so remote areas will not be a problem. Just not far north.

See lots talk of 12 mile, Moon river area on here. is this a good area to start or further south?

Offline Valley Tackle co

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 12:43:19 pm »
Iron city for walleye but watch for rocks!!! Very boney!!! Inbetween parry sound and 12 mile

Offline MarkD

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 12:57:29 pm »
As far as I know the best area for salmon is around Collingwood and further North-West to Owen Sound, and West of Beausoleil Island (the Hole) and around Giants Tomb Island and Christian island. As people say pike is abundant off Collingwood.
I heard that there is nice walleye fishing Between Beausoleil and Honey Harbor but not sure as the area is quite busy.
If you go North to 12 Mile bay then I would say salmon fishing is quite slow comparing to the  South, but yes, the scenery is exceptional. I fish there often. Some pike and bass between islands and in the bays, but I never got any walleye in there. Maybe I just don't know how to fish walleye though...
I would suggest to study some maps and Navionics charts... It's a lot of resources now, you don't even need to ask. Salmon is deep, pike and bass are around the shore... I would say quite simple...
All IMHO though...

Offline MarkD

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 01:07:05 pm »
Iron city for walleye but watch for rocks!!! Very boney!!! Inbetween parry sound and 12 mile
Yes, if you go North of Penetang- Waubaushene then it's very rocky! Navionics chart are not always accurate. In some cases I found it's completely off the real things. The worse thing I found that due to the higher water level in the last two-three years some rocks which were previously above the water and visible now are underwater and not marked. Thus be very diligent!

Offline andrew9638

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 03:35:17 pm »
How about north channel up around Spanish river? Good walleye and salmon if you venture farther out. North channel salmon are generally bigger than southern Georgian bay I believe, or at least used to be?
I used to fish lake O salmon also but now have completely switched to G bay (south area). Even though there’s not near the fish here the scenery and peace are worth it to me. Grew tired of hauling the boat down through city traffic and pulling out nasty plastic bags on rigger cables and lines constantly.

Offline MarkD

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 03:40:23 pm »
How about north channel up around Spanish river? Good walleye and salmon if you venture farther out. North channel salmon are generally bigger than southern Georgian bay I believe, or at least used to be?
I used to fish lake O salmon also but now have completely switched to G bay (south area). Even though there’s not near the fish here the scenery and peace are worth it to me. Grew tired of hauling the boat down through city traffic and pulling out nasty plastic bags on rigger cables and lines constantly.
I never went that far North but totally agree with everything else!