Author Topic: "New Tricks"  (Read 3281 times)

Offline Grandpa Jim

"New Tricks"
« on: August 31, 2012, 10:14:50 am »
This ol' dog is eating a generous portion of crow after an outing with my son on Wednesday. I expressed my displeasure at "wasting" one of the two rods we are legally allowed on a late evening outing through my son's insistence on running cut bait behind a large OKI flasher. We didn't set the world on fire going 2 for 3, but everything came on the stinky bait :-[ ::). Heading up to the boat shortly with the bitter half and my box of flashers and teaser heads is going back on board after a few years of being confined to the basement!
"... better to burn out, than to fade away ..." Neil Young

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
    • Time on the Water Canada
Re: "New Tricks"
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 03:01:36 pm »
That is funny Jim. I hate when that happens. Good luck out there.

Offline Grandpa Jim

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 08:18:47 am »
Got in an hour or so Sunday night. Didn't have any cut bait so ran down a single Spin Doctor/Fly combo along with my favourite NK mag on the other rigger. Both worked but no size to the takers. Looked like a pretty slow night all around. Hopefully it will pick up as the moon wanes and the flotilla of "last weekend of the summer" pleasure boats decreases in numbers. Fleas were a bit of a nuisance.

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 08:28:56 am »
Are fleas bad in GBay?

Offline nauti-too

• Fishing...its a way of life...
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 09:22:15 am »
We even had the spin doctor and fly fire for us on Sunday Jim. We had the rods firing all aft and into the evening but could only land three. We lost count of how many we dropped. Lyman did most of the work along with NK mag spoon. Worked the shallow side of the nets along the west side of christian from lighthouse up to west beach. The fish were getting quite dark in the 6 - 8lb range but were still full of spunk.

Cheers...Jake

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 10:24:34 am »
Jake
Would those dark 6 to 8's be 2 year olds now on GBay? I believe there is a lot of 4 year old spawners on GBay which should be in the high teens by that age. I actually caught one over 20 in the river last year.

Offline nauti-too

• Fishing...its a way of life...
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 11:11:19 am »
John I am no biologist but I would guess that they should be that age judging by their size, but these fish were dark males that are getting ready to head into the rivers. They should be silver at this age, but maybe they are 3 year olds that just are not going to get big. Maybe because of lack of food at an early age? They were healthy looking wild fish with all their fins intact.

Offline Grandpa Jim

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 11:15:48 am »
John,
          I was running 12 pound test Maxima mono on two rigs and picked up considerable fleas, definitely enough to prevent the sliders from running back to the main lure. This results in an annoying tangle and a few lost fish.
I was told by Dave Gonder (MNR biologist out of Owen Sound) that four year old chinooks are very rare now in Georgian Bay. Due to the limited number of alewife present, mother nature apparently takes over and the chinook mature at three years of age. This explains why the smaller fish (as Jake mentioned) are full of roe and milt because they might not find enough forage to sustain them due to the needs of a large four year old specimen.
The good news is reflected in the healthy fish entered in the Owen Sound derby this year with a couple topping 20 pounds. The Lake O gang may chuckle at this being good news but it is an encouraging sign nontheless. In addition, chinook are definitely showing indications that they are becoming far less reliant on the alewife forage and have begun to consume smelt, shiners and sticklebacks with regularity. My son noted that fish he took Sunday morning out of Collingwood had very large alewives in their bellies. Perhaps another mild winter or two just might bring back the alewife populations to somewhere near previous numbers.

Jake - good work on your weekend troll. No surprise whatsoever that you'd be busy. Might run across you over the next couple of weeks if the weather holds.

Offline RockandTroll

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 08:19:42 pm »
Good news for the bay. Things are starting to look up. Lots of fish weighed in at the owen sound derby this year. We had consistent catches every time out when we fished collingwood this year.
Have not been out at all in August due to engine problems  but listening to the VHF in the driveway there still seems to be consistent action out there.
A lot more fishing boats were out this year as well. I guess there is more interest when you actually have a decent chance of catching something.
Good luck to you guys for the remainder of the season.
Mike