Author Topic: Walleye Help  (Read 3764 times)

Offline 2ndlastcast

Walleye Help
« on: August 06, 2013, 12:30:36 pm »
Hello fellow fisherman. I have a friend that has recently purchased a cottage on Gerogian Bay, Midland (Victoria Harbour) to be exact. I don't have much info on Georgian bay fishing area. Although he is fairly new to fishing I have some experience on the water. We have located many bass but are have not located any Walleye. I've tried Jigging with a worm, Minnow and soft plastics and also tried trolling but no luck at all. We tried early morning at late evening but no luck. We are probably fishing in the wrong area. Just wondering if anyone knows any areas that we could try near us.  ???

Thanks for all your time and happy fishing,

2ndlastcast....
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 09:47:02 am by 2ndlastcast »

GeorgianBay MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline PikeMasterBaiter

Re: Walleye Help
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 04:33:23 pm »
Disclaimer - I do not fish for Walleye and I do not fish that area, but no body has commented so I will add my 2 cents.

It sounds like you are doing the right things. Finding fish on a new body of water is always tough. Unless you get some solid local advice, see action on your fishfinder, or come accross a textbook location I would personally keep the jigging to a minimum. Emphasise the trolling more and cover water to find them. I would think reef runners, bottom bouncers or 3-way rigs with small rapalas would be a good bet. I assume they would be deep this time of year but I fish mostly Pike and Musky I am sure you know what depths they are at, just make sure your trolling that depth range and cover ground. You will get to know the area very quickly doing that instead of jigging around everywhere. Jig when you find them...

When I go for pike and musky on new water I troll until I find them or I see spots that just look too good to not toss a few. I prefer not to troll personally, but its a great tool on a new lake...

Good luck.

Offline 2ndlastcast

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 06:35:00 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to answer my post PikeMasterBaiter !! Happy fishing...

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
    • Time on the Water Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 07:55:04 am »
Walleye are pretty scarce in the sound these days. Any that are being caught are down about 20 to 30 ft. You may have better luck down in Waubaushene in the channels just before and after dark. The most productive baits have been minnows on a jig head or bottom bouncers with a worm. It might be effective to cover water with a drop shot.

RobM

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 10:26:26 am »
I put some ideas up on anther post where fish are being caught.

Offline lollipop

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 09:51:08 am »
After many hours of trying, I finally got a 25 inch walleye last night near Vic Harbour.  It was caught while trolling a Live Target Smelt Banana Bait in 25-30 fow right at sundown.  Don't you love it when those Site Sponsors come through?
I'm actually calling it the 'Charlie Wray' catch.  Live Target lure, Seaguar fluorocarbon leader, Mustad snaps and swivels, Mercury outboard.  I actually landed the fish in a boat that wasn't a Crestliner and the pickup truck back in my driveway was a Honda Ridgeline, not a Dodge Ram!  I think I've been watching too many fishing shows lately.

Offline John Whyte

• Administrator
    • Time on the Water Canada
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 04:35:19 pm »
Nice catch! I can see it in the frying pan now :clap:

Now I have to try one of my Live Target Banana Smelt as well.  ;D

RobM

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 10:37:43 am »
You think we'll ever see the planer board train on the sound like in Quinte? Last year I noticed a few boats spreading out lines but being limited to one line and the specific locations we prefer to jig.